Talk

Advanced search

Where to start

(7 Posts)
itsallgonetitsup91 Fri 05-Jun-15 16:08:31

My grammar/punctuation is awful. Spelling is also terrible but I can use spellcheck. I want to improve. This morning me and my dp spent 15 minutes reciting a 3 sentence email I'd written to see if it was 'right', we both just gave up and sent the fucking thing.

I live somewhere that has a strong regional accent/dialect so the way I say things is definitely not the way they should be written, so even when I read things back aloud I can't tell if they're right or not.

I was okay in school - I've got worse as I've got older and out of practice but I need to get better again because it is embarrassing. Where do I start? Please correct me smile I have 20 minutes, 5 days a week to dedicate to improving.

ThomasRichard Mon 08-Jun-15 11:37:58

I'm not an expert by these are my suggestions:

- for pronunciation, try listening to the Today program on Radio 4 each morning. I listen to it in the car as I'm going to work;
- grammar: buy a student revision guide and work through it;
- grammar 2: buy a broadsheet newspaper. The Torygraph Telegraph, Guardian, Times or Independent will do. You'll notice the sentence structure and soon pick it up.

itsallgonetitsup91 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:12:24

Thank you lovely, these are great ideas!

MrsHathaway Mon 08-Jun-15 17:35:30

I think it's even simpler than that. Read a lot of printed material. Using the Internet a lot gives you a lot of exposure to bad spelling and other errors, whereas printed material tends to have been more closely edited.

Showing yourself lots of good examples will help.

CocktailQueen Tue 09-Jun-15 21:40:03

Buy yourself a good but easy to read grammar guide like Bill Bryson's Troublesome Words and read an entry a day? Read a key stage 2 or 3 English SPAg guide and do the questions - they explain the topic, give examples and give you test questions. Ones from Rising Stars or Schofield & Sims are good. Hth!

Stealthpolarbear Tue 09-Jun-15 21:42:48

wel your op seems good to me.
they're vs their
aloud vs allowed
what in particular do you think you struggle with?

thinkfast Tue 09-Jun-15 21:49:06

"my DP and I" rather than "me and my DP"

Well you did ask...wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now