Talk

Advanced search

Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision

(7 Posts)
Wynona Sun 11-Jan-15 23:04:17

I'd like to improve my grammar skills, as I'm finding it difficult to help my DC with their homework. I've found this book but I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

Thank you flowers

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 12-Jan-15 14:39:11

Never heard of either him, or his books, but the Amazon reviews are very mixed. Seems the book is more about spelling/punctuation/stylistics rather than actual grammar rules?

I would check out some of the Grammar reference books that English (as a second language) teachers use.

The TES and Teachit websites are full of resources as well, for teachers in UK schools, so should have lots of stuff you can refer to.

I like the Longman Grammar books myself; they do elementary, intermediate and upper intermediate etc. Obviously, they are for an ESL scenario, but the explanations are clear and there are exercises too.

Oxford Grammar Reference is a weighty tome, no exercises though.

Wynona Mon 12-Jan-15 21:52:50

Thanks. I'm looking for a book or app that has some practical examples. I'm finding myself constantly confused by DC school homework. I had no idea there were so many uses for dash.

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 13-Jan-15 16:27:17

Raymond Murphy is very straightforward, the British Council has a grammar app you can download and play with. I haven't used it but have told my students to!

prism Tue 13-Jan-15 21:22:46

You might have a look at it, DrankSangria. I just tried it and after two questions it stopped working completely. Your students might get very confused...

DrankSangriaInThePark Wed 14-Jan-15 05:55:48

grin

Which would be nothing new...I'll have a look!

meditrina Wed 14-Jan-15 06:39:44

If you really want 'military precision' then try the MoD effective writing guide

No need to pay for it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: