Talk

Advanced search

Calling all nitpickers! Is saying 'my one' rather than 'mine' incorrect...

(5 Posts)
Shoopdeedoop Thu 18-Dec-14 16:35:12

Please help me with this incredibly petty debate. This:

"I need to get a new Hoover because my one doesn't have very good suction."

As opposed to "I need to get a new Hoover because mine doesn't…"

Is the first sentence completely incorrect (grammatically speaking) or just a slightly strange turn of phrase?

prism Thu 18-Dec-14 17:04:56

It's just a strange turn of phrase, IMHO. You might want to enumerate the things your talking about, ("I need a new Hoover because my three are all worn out"; "Glad your DCs are happy at school- my two think St Custard's is dreadful") but most of the time "mine" does the job just fine, and is preferable.

prism Thu 18-Dec-14 17:20:05

I can't believe that typo I just committed. blush shockfblushwine

Shoopdeedoop Thu 18-Dec-14 17:26:18

Oh my. Pedants corner indeed when you are being a pedant about your own post!

You're right about it being a strange turn of phrase. I've only just found out that I use it - and never realised it was 'wrong'.

DadDadDad Fri 19-Dec-14 14:19:06

You say it was a petty debate, so presumably someone picked you up on saying this. I think that person is ridiculous: you were speaking (not writing a formal document, I presume), it's not ungrammatical, and it's not ambiguous, so what's the problem? Maybe "mine" is slightly easier on the ear of the listener, but that's a bit subjective.

I'm all for being picky, but it seems a shame if pedants are making people feel inhibited in their colloquial, spoken English when they are communicating perfectly capably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now