Talk

Advanced search

Grammar Nazi help needed: Chemistry or chemistry???

(10 Posts)
Haffdonga Fri 28-Nov-14 17:54:58

DS is aplying to do chemistry at uni. His final final version at long bloody last of his UCAS personal statement has been handed back to him by the teacher who does the final final edit (and who is apparently an expert in writing statements) with all mentions of 'chemistry' capitalised. Fine if we're talking the name of the course/ subject, as in I enjoy studying Chemistry, Serbo-Croat and Military History. ,I think? But is she wrong to capitalise the word chemistry or chemical in non- course related, general sentences? E.g. I am fascinated by the Chemical Reactions of X and Y. or My interest in the Chemistry of chocolate manufacture ...

Ds now tells me she is right, I'm wrong. But she's wrong, yes? confused

moonrocket Fri 28-Nov-14 17:57:24

It's 'chemistry'; only languages take a capital letter (including English)

WhatWouldFreddieDo Fri 28-Nov-14 17:57:50

She's wrong, you're right (I'm a copyeditor) - I would only cap it when you're talking about 'reading Chemistry' at xx uni, or a 2.1 in Chemistry, etc. Otherwise lowercase.

Not sure how you'll approach her about it though? grin

moonrocket Fri 28-Nov-14 17:59:34

OMG- just read all your OP (sorry am cooking) "Chemical Reactions"? Good Lord!

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 28-Nov-14 18:00:20

You are right

moonrocket Fri 28-Nov-14 18:01:09

And no- subjects do not take capitalisation unless languages.

Haffdonga Fri 28-Nov-14 18:06:14

Phew. Starting to doubt myself there. I am fairly gobsmacked that this expert teacher has apparently vetted all 250-odd statements each year and she's doing this to them all. hmm

Thanks everyone for helping out. flowers and wine (it's Friday).

Haffdonga Mon 01-Dec-14 18:48:23

I wanted to update you all just to let you know the capitalising culprit was apparently a member of the school admin team rather than the teacher herself. All is forgiven. smile

WhatWouldFreddieDo Tue 02-Dec-14 09:21:05

the barbarians are not yet at the gates, thank goodness grin

CocktailQueen Mon 08-Dec-14 21:44:00

Am also a copy-editor, and agree with Freddie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now