Talk

Advanced search

The last comma in a list of adjectives.

(12 Posts)
SixImpossible Sun 12-Oct-14 07:54:55

I just typed something along the lines of:

"She is the most strait-laced, conventional, person I know."

Should it have been:

"She is the most strait-laced, conventional person I know."?

What if the list of adjectives is longer? I know that when you have a list ending with "and (last item)", you put a comma after each item except the penultimate item. Unless the list is very long or complex, in which case a comma before the "and (last item)" is acceptable. Is it the same for adjective lists?

beatofthedrum Sun 12-Oct-14 07:56:22

No comma after the last adjective.

margaritasbythesea Sun 12-Oct-14 07:58:06

Both are correct. It is a matter of personal style.

MrsQueen Sun 12-Oct-14 08:20:16

No comma after conventional, there's no need for it as the list of adjectives has ended.

Gavel.

MrsHathaway Sun 12-Oct-14 08:34:33

Comma after conventional is incorrect: in lists such as this the comma does the work of "and":

She is the most strait-laced and conventional person I know.

On the other hand, not all listed adjectives need a comma. I can't remember the term off the top of my head but it's to do with whether it describes or defines.

She was the most patronising and strait-laced and conventional heavily tattooed bisexual person I had ever met.

Use commas where and makes sense, and omit them otherwise.

My heavily tattooed, bisexual sister is, oddly enough, the most patronising, strait-laced and conventional of all my siblings.

CocktailQueen Thu 16-Oct-14 21:56:03

No comma after the last adjective! It is wrong. Thanks, mrs Hathaway!

margaritasbythesea Sat 18-Oct-14 08:21:26

Sorry it is wrong. Can't think why is said that.

SixImpossible Tue 21-Oct-14 09:30:58

Thanks.

MrsH, I nearly inhaled my tea with laughter - I was describing my MIL! grin

JessieMcJessie Tue 28-Oct-14 17:22:41

Isn't it "straight-laced" as in all the laces of her corset are neatly aligned? Or is it strait because the laces pull her waist in to be very narrow?

SixImpossible Tue 28-Oct-14 18:47:03

The second, I think.

But very willing to be corrected if I'm wrong!

MrsHathaway Tue 28-Oct-14 19:07:16

Strait as in narrow. Unlike a lady of the night, who would have hers more easily removable...

TheLovelyBoots Fri 21-Nov-14 15:34:07

It's the Oxford Comma, and entirely at the discretion of the writer. I think there might be some caveat for a list of only two, though - seems too few.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now