Talk

Advanced search

I text her vs I texted her

(54 Posts)
Comito Tue 09-Sep-14 21:46:15

For some reason, people saying 'I text her' rather than 'I texted her' (past tense) really grates on me. What should it be?

gamerchick Tue 09-Sep-14 21:48:58

I don't believe there is such a word as texted. It looks and sounds ridiculous. Text can be used for both.

Waltons Tue 09-Sep-14 21:58:00

This was bugging me at around 4am one night last week!

Yesterday I call her ...

Yesterday I email her ..

Yesterday I text her ...

Text is a noun and a verb, just like call and email.

If it is used as a verb, it should be conjugated just like any regular verb, by adding -ed at the end.

<exits Pedants Corner>

Comito Tue 09-Sep-14 21:59:11

Waltons, that was my feeling too. Both looked slightly odd though, hence my query.

Primrose123 Tue 09-Sep-14 22:02:14

I prefer texted. I don't like text at all. I've also heard people call them texes, and I don't like that either.

Comito Wed 10-Sep-14 11:10:13

'Texes'! >shudder<

Like 'listicles'. Just yuk.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 10-Sep-14 11:12:38

"Text" isn't a verb, surely. It should be "I sent her a text".

Same with email.

"To call" IS a verb, so "I called her" and "I call her" are both gramatically correct, depending on the context.

Frontier Wed 10-Sep-14 11:15:26

IMO the only acceptable way is "I sent her a text"

Texted is probably right but sounds all wrong.

NameChangerNewDanger Wed 10-Sep-14 11:16:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floggingmolly Wed 10-Sep-14 11:18:26

Phone isn't a verb either, but "I phoned her" is acceptable (if old fashioned), isn't it?

Bowlersarm Wed 10-Sep-14 11:22:53

I say 'I sent her a text' to avoid the issue.

Texted sounds just wrong to me.

'I texted her' sounds as bad as 'I lefted the party early'.

People assure me I'm wrong though.

Frontier Wed 10-Sep-14 11:23:50

I had to check, at risk of getting with wrong molly but phone is a verb (and a noun) according to my dictionary.

NameChangerNewDanger Wed 10-Sep-14 11:25:23

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 10-Sep-14 11:27:03

Namechanger - stop it!!! angry
Flogging - "To telephone" is a verb, so so is "to phone".

tribpot Wed 10-Sep-14 11:28:35

Texted. Much like Facebooked and Whatsapped. Yes, these are appalling terms but they are slightly less appalling than appropriating the noun on its own to form the preterite or past participle.

When phones were first invented, people spoke of 'telephoning to' someone, which makes perfect sense but sounds odd to modern ears.

NameChangerNewDanger Wed 10-Sep-14 11:28:44

tribpot Wed 10-Sep-14 11:30:02

SMS is a specific technology though - texting and instant messaging are now almost interchangeable terms (although I personally only use text for SMS).

singersgirl Wed 10-Sep-14 12:05:06

New verbs in English pretty much always take the 'regular' -ed past tense. Hence, as someone has said, as well as 'texted' we have 'Facebooked', 'e-mailed' (or now more probably 'emailed'), 'Hoovered' and of course 'phoned'. All those verbs start off as nouns. And when children are learning to speak they often form -ed past tenses of verbs that have 'irregular' pasts eg I goed, I sleeped.

'Text' would be a very unusual form in the past tense and is probably used because of analogy with 'irregular' past tenses such as 'went' and 'spent' which have different present tenses. There is though at least one precedent (and probably others but this is just the one I thought of); 'let' is the same in the present and past.

DadDadDad Wed 10-Sep-14 12:34:05

Don't have a go at NameChanger. Nouns turning to verbs is a perfectly normal process. I do agree that it would then be expected to behave like any other regular verb and add ed in the past tense.

ruddynorah Wed 10-Sep-14 12:44:26

I would say messaged. I never say text nor texted.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 10-Sep-14 12:49:46

If that's aimed at me Dad - it was meant to be funny blush

NameChangerNewDanger Wed 10-Sep-14 12:53:55

CocktailQueen Wed 10-Sep-14 12:57:12

'Texted' is the past tense. 'I text her' is just wrong. It's common to make nouns verbs - impact, Facebooked, etc.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 10-Sep-14 13:05:53

I hate, hate, hate 'text' as a past participle. I don't spend much time here in Pedants' corner, but I'm sure I started my own thread about it once. If I didn't, I should have done. In my view, 'texted' only sounds wrong because we've become so accustomed to being subjected to the appalling 'text'.

BestIsWest Wed 10-Sep-14 13:13:08

I would say "I sent a text" or at a push "texted" I would never ever say "I text her" as a past tense. Just plain wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: