Talk

Advanced search

"a" hundred?

(8 Posts)
tshirtsuntan Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:13

Have heard this several times recently, as in "I would do it again a hundred per cent" surely it's "one hundred per cent"? Have possibly over thought it grin but it's beginning to get my goat.

meditrina Thu 30-Jan-14 10:39:05

I think "a hundred" is fine, in the same was as 'a dozen', 'a gross' or 'a score'.

NaffOrf Thu 30-Jan-14 10:42:49

It's fine.

Unlike 'hence why' which is my current bugbear.

Cooroo Sat 01-Feb-14 08:14:32

When you count you say 'ninety nine, a hundred' don't you? Or there were a hundred people in the room. Or a hundred and twenty.

In fact do we ever say 'one hundred'?

MirandaGoshawk Tue 04-Feb-14 19:51:19

"... to be the man who walked one thousand miles..."

One hundred is Scottish grin

dozily Tue 04-Feb-14 19:58:56

Similarly, "a hundredth" is also fine, and so is "two hundredths", "three hundredths", etc.

I wish someone would explain that to athletics and swimming commentators, who insist on saying things like "three one hundredths of a second".

dozily Tue 04-Feb-14 20:01:33

... but in darts it's definitely "One hundred and eighty!" grin

chateauferret Sat 08-Feb-14 14:29:10

"Hundred" is a noun like any other and can be marked in the same ways. The only point to note is that most partitives require 'of', whereas these number words often quantify a noun without needing 'of' (cf. many inflected languages such as Russian, where such a usage requires the genitive case). "A hundred" (indefinite article); "the hundred or so men" (definite article); "the last hundred years" (adjective).

For some reason the plural does require 'of'. "Hundreds of thousands"; "some hundreds of pounds"; "many hundreds of people".

Thousand, million, etc. the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now