Advanced search

Draw vs drawer

(26 Posts)
iliketea Sun 30-Oct-11 08:37:33

First step to pedants corner. Can someone please confirm to me that "drawer" is correct as opposed to "draw" as in a chest of drawers. I work with very educated and intelligent people and every one of them writes draw instead of drawer, and i'm beginning to doubt myself. I'm scottish and pronounce the word draw-er, whereas all my colleagues are english pronounce it draw.

I'm pretty sure i'm right, but beginning to doubt myself. So who's right? Me or them?

<hoping grammer and spelling is correct in post emoticon>

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 30-Oct-11 08:38:34

I think you are correct but my spelling is crap.

SazZaVoom Sun 30-Oct-11 08:41:58

You are correct. They are all numpties.

HTH grin

BonnyBanks Sun 30-Oct-11 08:55:44

Regardless of how you pronouce the word it is spelt "drawer".

I'd never seen anyone spell it "draw" until Mumsnet. I'm reasonably tolerant of typos etcbut this one makes me grind my teeth in annoyance...

Shodan Sun 30-Oct-11 08:57:02

It is indeed drawer.

Not draw. And especially not 'chester draws'. angry

<and pssst- it's grammar, not grammer wink

Shodan Sun 30-Oct-11 08:58:32

BonnyBanks- sadly I have noticed 'draws' becoming far more prevalent, particularly in newspaper adverts. It is very annoying.

CitizenOscar Sun 30-Oct-11 09:03:41

It is drawer. I also work with lots of people who don't know this.

WipsGlitter Sun 30-Oct-11 09:04:59

I never saw 'draw' until I came onto mumsnet. The first time it took me ages to work out the poster meant drawer as. Her post was making no sense as I was reading it as draw. I'm not surprised at your colleagues. Someone in my work who was presented as the best thing since sliced bread, Oxbridge etc doesn't know her effect from her affect. I judged.

HoneyPablo Sun 30-Oct-11 09:07:58

I love chester draws. I see it all the time on freecycle grin

AgentProvocateur Wed 02-Nov-11 11:51:41

I came into Pedants' Corner to start a thread about the very same thing! I've never seen it written as "draw" anywhere except MN, and at first I didn't know what posters meant when they "put something in the draw".

I also think it's a pronunciation thing. I'm Scottish too, OP, and to me it has two syllables - draw-ur.

It's annoying me almost as much as people who write "rediculous".

Sammiez Tue 08-Nov-11 21:02:52

or "definately"

Red2011 Fri 11-Nov-11 18:44:46

"Drawer" is the thing in furniture. You draw it out of the body of the cabinet.
"Draw" is what you do with pencils, crayons, pens and lots.

I find it really irritating when they get transposed.

plupervert Sat 12-Nov-11 22:32:55

I once saw "draws" in a real, printed book. It was from a very small press, but it made me very cross, not least because I could see how desperately they needed a proper editor (or editrix - like me! wink), yet knew that was impossible, due to their financial state. sad

hocuspontas Sat 12-Nov-11 22:35:57

Another one here who has never seen it spelt 'draws' apart from here.
How do you spell it when it refers to knickers?

plupervert Sat 12-Nov-11 22:47:55

Probable "undees" or something similarly illiterate, *hocuspontas"! "Pants" isn't too hard to spell, either.... hmm

NormanTheForeman Sat 12-Nov-11 22:51:18

Drawers are the things in chests of drawers or are undergarments. Draw is what you do with a pencil, or a weapon.

hocuspontas Sat 12-Nov-11 22:53:10

Aah yes, just checked Urban Dictionary. The word for undercrackers is spelt 'drawers'.

plupervert Sat 12-Nov-11 23:13:45

Do you think anyone will go away from this thread determined to be "correct", and commit the howler: "Hanged hung, drawen and quartered"?

(For added anti-pedant points, one could add an Oxford comma: "hanged, drawen, and quartered".)

lurkerspeaks Wed 22-Aug-12 10:37:29

How funny to find this thread as I have got a reasonably new friend who constantly talks about the kitchen draws.

I'm Scottish and it would quite definitely be a kitchen drawer in my book. Now I'm aware of this mispronunciation/ misuse I've noticed other people doing it. I wonder if there is regional variation - my friend is from the midlands and the other folk I've heard doing it were also from around there.

Does anyone know? I know as a Scot we have some idiosyncratic language usage which would be consider correct here but odd or wrong down South eg. I might say "my Gran stays in North Edinburgh". A more English phraseology would be "my Gran lives in North Edinburgh".

MirandaGoshawk Sat 25-Aug-12 21:08:52

Don't know about that but I too worked with a very competent secretary to the top bloke in the firm who wrote me a note that some file or other was in the bottom draw of the cabinet. shock

chickenspots Sat 25-Aug-12 21:18:26

draw instead of drawer and brought instead of bought both drive me wild and I see them both used online frequently.

EmJamGreen Tue 08-Jan-13 10:43:01

I've just been looking at a new fridge/freezer on Homebase and the whole write-up says draws not drawers!!!!!
Surely companies such as this should employ someone with a brain and some basic level of education to at least proof such things.
I could go on all day about mis-spellings, my biggest pet hate, however no-one is really interested I'm sure, so now that I've vented my anger I'll get on with something more productive!

LifeofPo Tue 08-Jan-13 10:48:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FondaFan Fri 21-Jun-13 13:37:27

In case anyone should think that spelling "drawer" correctly does not matter, I recommend the film "The Wrong Man", 1956, starring Henry Fonda.

princessx Tue 25-Jun-13 00:44:41

This has reminded me of what I used to call a chest if drawers: digestive drawers. In my defence I was 5, but I remember thinking why do you get digestive biscuits and digestive drawers, I couldn't see a connection.

I've not noticed the draw/drawer thing, but I'm sure I now will and I'll get duly annoyed each time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now