Talk

Advanced search

Would you point out to the owner of a shop that all their apostophes were wrong?

(9 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Sat 08-Oct-11 12:55:23

It hurts my eyes every time I go in there but I can't stop myself because it's a cheap £1-type shop with loads of fun tat. All the hand-written signs have got apostrophes in plural words.

Would you say something? I don't want to appear uptight and rude but it's a crime against the English language!!

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 12:56:10

I wouldn't, but I would want to.

AnyoneButLulu Sat 08-Oct-11 13:05:31

No, not in a pound shop. There are some shops where I might point it out if it was sabotaging the upmarket effect they were aiming at, and especially in a bookshop, but not otherwise.

InvaderZim Sat 08-Oct-11 13:12:07

I was once in a copy shop and someone was making piles of copies for a Valentine's Day special: "chocolate covered strawberry's". Eek!

I left them a polite note. I also got a postcard through the door with misplaced apostrophes AND commas! shock

I wouldn't in a cheap shop, agree about aiming for your market.

nickelbabe Sat 08-Oct-11 13:13:50

It is a bit rude, and I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

maybe a little note through the door?

jimswifein1964 Sat 08-Oct-11 13:14:44

Yes. I'd also point out the spelling error if someone wrote 'apostophes' in a thread title wink

purpleturtletoise Sat 08-Oct-11 13:16:53

I nearly didn't go into a coffee shop the other day, because they had a handwritten sign in the window advertising for 'Kictchen Staff'! I didn't dare look at the menu, although my friend did comment on a rogue apostrophe.

However, I didn't say anything.

LeoTheLateBloomer Sat 08-Oct-11 13:23:47

Ok, I will bite my tongue. I'd never have been brave enough to say anything anyway I don't think, but that's a good point about the type of shop.

"I'd also point out the spelling error if someone wrote 'apostophes' in a thread title"blush (I got it right in the OP though!)

MinnieBar Sat 08-Oct-11 13:36:23

No as there's no point - been there, done that and people either look at you with a 'Huh?' expression or an 'Okaaaaaaay now please go away and get a life' one.

I may also have once drunkenly whipped out a pen and corrected a sign that said photo's

Inwardly I'd be screaming though…

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now