Talk

Advanced search

Similar to, different from, same as...

(5 Posts)
moocowmoo Mon 26-Sep-11 20:34:31

Can you say something is "different to" something else? I was taught that it has to be "different from". My husband claims he has never heard of this rule in his life and I have also noticed people using "different to". What is the rule? (Apologies if this has been done many times before.)

afishcalledmummy Mon 26-Sep-11 20:38:00

Different to makes no sense whatsoever. You are pointing out the differences therefore the comparison must be from. Different to is an Americanism that is, like so many others, creeping into everyday language over here.

PigeonPie Tue 27-Sep-11 20:20:33

I was just going to say that your title was correct! 'Different to' is horrid and whenever I hear anyone saying it I can 'hear' my mother shouting 'different from' from when I was a child - it's stuck! The funny thing is, now I do it!

treefiddy Wed 19-Oct-11 19:28:39

One of my pet hates. "Different to" heard all the time on TV, even on the Beeb. Apparently it's OK to say "different than" but I'm not condoning that.

nickelbabe Thu 20-Oct-11 16:17:01

i think different than is US english - they use both.
in UK english, it's always different from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now