Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

chorizo pronunciation?

(32 Posts)
Fiolondon Tue 20-Sep-11 22:53:11

Hi. I've just found this topic and I am very much enjoying it!
Can you please help? DH and I have an ongoing debate about how chorizo should be pronounced in English. He maintains the Spanish choreetho, while I say that this would be correct, but that the more common choritzo is also a possibility. He can't then understand why Ibiza is not Ibitza.
Any thoughts?
Fiona

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:54:18

Ko-ree-tho is how I say it, because that's what they called it in Barcelona, but I think Castillian and Catalonian pronunciation differes.

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:55:11

Mind you if I'm buying it in Tesco in England I call it Koritso because otherwise they look at me oddly.

jennifersofia Tue 20-Sep-11 22:57:42

Your dh is correct.

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:19

Ah, so it's ch, not cuh sound then Jennifer?

stripygiraffe Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:27

As far as I am concerned z=th in Spanish and ts in Italian. Chorizo is a Spanish product ergo Chor-ee-tho.

Fiolondon Tue 20-Sep-11 23:03:48

Yes totally agree with dh about the Spanish pronunciation but the question is what should it be in English? For example we say Pariss in English but the French say Paree.
The pronunciation is not necessarily the same but I don't necessarily understand why.

Fiolondon Tue 20-Sep-11 23:05:05

Also BTW am damn impressed by the speed of your pedantic replies!

Catitainahatita Wed 21-Sep-11 03:48:00

In Mexico (and Hispanic America in general) there is no "th" sound. Chorizo is however, widely available. The "z" is an "s" sound.
Thus Mexicans call chorizo "cho -ree-so".

The key thing about the pronunciation in Spain or anyother Spanish speaking country is to get the stress on the right syllable. This word ends in "o" and so the stress must be on the penultimate syllable; the "ree" bit.

desnatada Wed 21-Sep-11 05:54:48

Spent a lot of time in Spain and have Spanish in-laws and mixed husband from the north of Spain. They all pronounce it"chor-ee-th-o".

My other favorite is Desigual. I've heard lots of people call it desi-gull.I believe it should be pronounced "desi-gwaal"

desnatada Wed 21-Sep-11 05:56:42

Stripy giraffe puts it better - "chor-ee-tho"

LadyMary Wed 21-Sep-11 06:25:11

My BIL is Spnaish (from northern Spain). He pronounces it Cho-ree-tho.

bonkers20 Wed 21-Sep-11 06:35:47

Hmm, looks like I a fool! I say Chor-eats-tso.
However I am vegetarian and don't often have need to buy it so hopefully the whole of my local town aren't laughing at me.

Also I fling my arm out flambouyantly while saying it so it sort of looks authentic.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 21-Sep-11 06:38:45

Many words have become common parlance in English, but retain (or should) their original pronunciation (unless you are Delia Smith, in which case it seems your main aim in life is to slaughter, in the most painful way possible, any word that is not purely English, choritzo being one of her very favourite victims...) Other words were originally taken from other languages but we have, over the years, adopted an Anglicised pronunciation (Paris, Madrid, Barcelona)

It's important in order not to seem wanky to know which is which, as mentioning you've had a cheap w/e away to Madreeeth will have most people thinking what a pretentious tosspot you are, whilst a similar w/e in Ibit-za will have them examining your ears for the provinicial straw growing out of them.

CitizenOscar Wed 21-Sep-11 06:43:42

Germans pronounce Ibiza Ibit-za
[helpful face]

EssentialFattyAcid Wed 21-Sep-11 06:46:56

Good point
so, chor ee tho - wanky pronounciation or not?

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Wed 21-Sep-11 06:47:38

I pronounce it cho-ritz-o, but am aware it is incorrect. But I do pronounce Ibiza I-bee-tha which I hope is correct. (not eye-bee-tha which drives me mad).

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 21-Sep-11 06:53:15

Both choreetho and choreeso are correct, because both are regional variations. (think bath and barth) Whatever mangled strangulation Delia comes up with, isn't, and never will be.

I've noticed George W Bush stopped saying Eye-Rack once he started reading Pedants' Corner.

Fiolondon Wed 21-Sep-11 10:44:53

Thank you for the replies. I feel completely vindicated in relation to the confusion in our house - as it seems to be a contentious point. I hadn't even registered the choreeso version. We were stuck between choritzo and choreetho.

We had noticed that the BBC (maybe Delia excepted, I was thinking Masterchef and Saturday Kitchen) seems to have decided to consistently with choritzo despite the view here (shared with OH) that this is the least likely to be correct in Spanish - but probably does comply with normal pronunciation rules in English..... Any more thoughts?

SuzyLewis Thu 22-Sep-11 23:16:34

LOL this makes my blood boil! TH and S are fine but never ever TZ please... Unless you are enjoying it with a nice cup of EXPRESSO!!! ;)

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:17:24

Why would you pronounce it like a Spaniard if you are in England in an English supermarket? You surely don't say to your friends that you are going to Paree for the weekend - you say Paris, don't you?

Do you say Peetsa or Pittsa? Do you say Mairtsaydez or Mersaydez for Mercedes? Do you say bee-em-double-you or bay-em-vay? Do you say renoh or ruhnoh for Renault?

Istillfeelseventeen Sat 24-Sep-11 17:19:25

I used to live with an Azorean lady who made chorizo and she pronounced it "shadeese".

noddyholder Sat 24-Sep-11 17:19:52

Your dh is right. Chor it so is not good

Iggly Sat 24-Sep-11 17:20:52

I agree Judge, drives me insane! I say choritzo and don't care. I can't imagine a spaniard saying jellied eels in an East London accent hmm grin

ForYourDreamsAreChina Sat 24-Sep-11 17:30:18

Surely, by your reckoning then judge, we should all be saying pittsa? Or even, as it's spelled, pizza. (kind of like a worzel gummagey version of pisser....)

Which I would hope we don't. Because that really would make us look like rednecks.

Even my 95 yr old great granny who has never eaten one in her life knows how to say pizza.

The thing is, it comes down to common usage as well as wankery. Paree will always be wankery. Peetsa has become peetsa out of common usage. Chorizo is still somewhere in the middle. (but moving into common usage)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now