Talk

Advanced search

Yes thanks!

(15 Posts)
ChavGuevara Wed 14-Sep-11 09:46:21

DP says this and I have to bite my tongue every time. We've now adopted his nephew and he does it too, but adds his own special touch by mumbling so I don't know whether he's said just thanks, or no thanks.

angry

Am I alone?

ChavGuevara Wed 14-Sep-11 09:47:32

To clarify (here of all places) this is in response to a question such as 'would you like some juice?'. Answer: yes thanks.

FruStefanLindman Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:41

Ah, so what you mean ChavG is the answer should be?

"yes, < p a u s e > thanks" (or thank you)

I mean I'm agreeing with you. It should either be "no thanks/thank you" or as above (am I rambling? Yes, I think so blush)

LaBag Thu 15-Sep-11 04:06:14

I think you should just be grateful they say thanks. Can't really see what the problem is.

PositiveAttitude Thu 15-Sep-11 06:23:19

I am with you ChavG. I thought it was just me!! grin

The answer should be "Yes, please" or "No, thanks" (or No, thank you)

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Thu 15-Sep-11 06:30:44

Definitely "yes please". It wouldn't cross my mind to say it any other way.

LaBag Thu 15-Sep-11 07:47:05

Mmm, I think you are being a bit too fussy. Yes thanks or yes, thank you are fine. At least the child (and your DP) has some manners! Don't sweat the small stuff.

PositiveAttitude Thu 15-Sep-11 13:21:51

I think we are allowed to be fussy in Pedants' corner, aren't we?

OvO Thu 15-Sep-11 13:34:10

It's yes please and no thanks. You cant go mixing them up!

LaBag Thu 15-Sep-11 13:52:57

Why do you think someone can't say "yes, thank you". Bonkers.

ChavGuevara Fri 16-Sep-11 02:29:34

I can't believe I'm too fussy for Pedant's Corner, I'm not sure where to turn now grin

Neither of them ever say please, it's always yes thanks. It really jars. They were both brought up by the same woman so it must be hard-wired.

Thanks for all your posts, particularly Ovo, Positive, , Stuck and Fru for agreeing with me grin.

PositiveAttitude Fri 16-Sep-11 07:12:39

"...too fussy for Pedants' corner" , now there's a thought! hmm confused grin

ChavGuevara Fri 16-Sep-11 07:41:32

LaBag, FruStefan explained it so much better than me. Obviously we all say yes, thanks in a thank you for asking way. Just not 'yes thanks' if someone asks you if you want something <labours point>

SecretSquirrels Sat 17-Sep-11 17:20:05

Even worse is when DS and his friends say "I'm okay".
So is that a yes please or a no thank you?

TequillaMockingBird Thu 22-Sep-11 09:02:12

Agree, 'please' is to request and 'thanks' is acknowledgement. At best they can say "Yes please, and thanks for asking." Then they can say thank you again when receiving said item.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now