Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pronunciation of "th"

(4 Posts)
CrosswordAddict Wed 24-Aug-11 17:25:52

I am becoming increasingly fed-up with the use of "f" or "v" instead of TH.
Classic example last Thursday on the news - a young man opened his A Level results on camera and beamed to the nation "I got FREE A's" [cringe]
This makes me wonder whether one of these A's was in English? shock

StopRainingPlease Wed 24-Aug-11 18:35:39

Bit late to be annoyed I think, this one was all the rage 40 years ago when I was a kid!

MellowBirds Wed 24-Aug-11 18:48:22

For thirty five years I referred to what I was wearing as cloze. It just never occured to me to say clothes. During that time I gained four a levels and two degrees. Not sure what my point is really! Just felt like throwing that in there. P.S. I pronounce it correctly now

CrosswordAddict Thu 25-Aug-11 09:54:50

StopRainingPlease Yes, I realise it's a bit late but it still grates on my nerves. Got to get used to it, I suppose, or just stop mixing with the younger set.
MellowBirds Agree with what you say. Yes, I know well educated people who do not use RP. I just feel we are not presenting our wonderful English language as well as we should. After all, English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, isn't it? Maybe I'm a lone voice crying in the wilderness?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now