Talk

Advanced search

to get stupidly annoyed when people use 'American' spellings

(55 Posts)
StrandedBear Wed 24-Aug-11 15:21:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Wed 24-Aug-11 15:23:06

I am currently reading Made in America by Bill Bryson, it is quite fascinating how many of the "american" spellings were originally English.

AuntieMonica Wed 24-Aug-11 15:25:09

yup

get with the program and lighten up, it's not as if the center of the universe will collapse.

[evil emoticon]

grin

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 24-Aug-11 15:31:02

laraeo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:03:24

Well, some of us are, actually, American grin.

Scaevola Wed 24-Aug-11 16:07:58

You're NBU to champion British spellings on a Uk website.

But I think YABVU to post it in this part of MN.

Pedants' Corner exists specifically for issues such as this. All such pedantry threads are brigades there as it is a divisive (and often distracting) issue, and kept in one place it is easily hidden by those who do not share pedantic concerns.

OP - would you consider reporting this thread to request it be moved?

nickelbabe Wed 24-Aug-11 16:09:51

actually, it's sterilizer - the Z belonged to UK english before it was stolen by the Americans.

i'm with you on the others.

PiousPrat Wed 24-Aug-11 16:09:51

It isn't so much a myth about -ise and -ize. It is more that -ize is an old accepted variant in UK English, but has fallen out of common useage whereas it is the only form still used in the US, so while -ize in the UK may be technically accepted, it isn't socially accepted and is no longer the norm so is considered 'wrong'.

nickelbabe Wed 24-Aug-11 16:10:53

it's the preferred spelling in the OED.

nickelbabe Wed 24-Aug-11 16:11:00

(-ize)

Whatmeworry Wed 24-Aug-11 16:12:16

Some US spellings are older actually..... what is more fun between various Englishes are the slang meaning shifts, which can be very funny. Examples are:

- Fanny pack
- Bum a fag
- Jacking it in
- Pissed
- Rooting for you

Euphemia Wed 24-Aug-11 16:15:11

YABU. It's not worth getting your dander up, in most circumstances.

Do you say reSEARCH or REsearch? Shedule or skedule for schedule?

Who cares, as long as the meaning is clear? There are more important aspects of language to be pernickety about.

Warlock Wed 24-Aug-11 16:18:19

Yes, you are. My DW is American so I have to say that :0

Pseudonym99 Wed 24-Aug-11 16:18:47

www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/earspopping.shtml
"what happens in an airplane". I used to expect better from the bbc.

Tee2072 Wed 24-Aug-11 16:21:25

It's worrying about crap like this that lost y'all an empire.

Whatmeworry Wed 24-Aug-11 16:40:34

pernickety

Disgraceful use of Americanism there. Tut grin

Euphemia Wed 24-Aug-11 16:53:24

Pernickety is a Scottish word; the American version is persnickety. grin

laraeo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:53:26

Persnickety.

laraeo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:53:50

X post!

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 24-Aug-11 16:59:39

I'm a teacher. Don't get me started. Someone decided that we should now spell sulphur with an F. I refuse to do it.

nickelbabe Wed 24-Aug-11 17:04:31

sulfur? confused

that's just wrong
who the hell decided that ??? confused

nickelbabe Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:33

wiki says this,thoug "Sulfur comes from the Old French soufre, apparently referring from a root meaning "to burn".[39] The element was traditionally spelled sulphur in the United Kingdom (since the 14th century),[40] most of the Commonwealth including India, Malaysia, South Africa, and Hong Kong, along with the rest of the Caribbean and Ireland. Sulfur is used in the United States, while both spellings are used in Canada and the Philippines.[40]

However, the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Royal Society of Chemistry Nomenclature Committee in 1992.[41] The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority for England and Wales recommended its use in 2000,[42] and it now appears in GCSE exams.[43] The Oxford Dictionaries note that "In chemistry... the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts"[44]

In Latin, the word is variously written sulpur, sulphur, and sulfur (the Oxford Latin Dictionary lists the spellings in this order). It is an original Latin name and not a Classical Greek loan, so the ph variant does not denote the Greek letter φ (phi). Sulfur in Greek is thion (θείον), whence comes the prefix thio-. The simplification of the Latin words p or ph to an f appears to have taken place towards the end of the classical period.[45][46]"

StrandedBear Wed 24-Aug-11 17:07:36

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:54

I was shocked to discover that 'ize' is actually the preferred form in the OED. I was convinced that it was the American form and 'ise' was the British English form.

That's compounded by the fact that if you use Spellchecker, and set your language to UK English, it recognises the 'ise' ending, whereas 'ize' is the US English version.

picnicbasketcase Wed 24-Aug-11 17:13:53

YABU because some people are American. Plus some spellings have become so interchangeable that people have forgotten which one they are 'supposed' to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now