Talk

Advanced search

I have gotten thoroughly sick of...

(14 Posts)
FellatioNelson Sun 14-Aug-11 08:34:59

The recent adoption of the word 'gotten' by British people. It's spreading everywhere like a nasty rash. I've even seen reasonably intelligent journalists using it.

It needs to STOP. NOW. GRRRR. angry

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 14-Aug-11 08:38:29

Yes, British people shouldn't be allowed to change the way they speak.

It's an outrage the way language develops.

FellatioNelson Sun 14-Aug-11 08:39:27

I just need to add that I know it is a proper word, but it really needs to be used in the right context, and people are not using it in the right context. Or perhaps technically they are, I don't know, but it is clearly an adopted Americanism and therefore I am cross.

FellatioNelson Sun 14-Aug-11 08:49:28

OK, just looked it up and it is archaic, so technically I suppose it is allowable, but I will only allow it very begrudgingly. grin

It's still something that has been adopted largely by da yoof and picked up from too much American TV, and therefore is not to be tolerated lightly.

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 14-Aug-11 09:09:21

I feel you wink

I dislike the American use of "gotten" intensely myself, even when Americans use it, and it's standard usage for them.

English is nicer when got and gotten are two separate words with their own meanings and uses smile

American English does weird things to past tense conditionals - "If I would have" instead of "If I had". I hope that never makes it here.

So let us never speak of it again grin

rumcrumble Sun 14-Aug-11 09:19:17

It's old English that is still around, not just from America. I think particularly yorkshire but might be wrong on that.

rumcrumble Sun 14-Aug-11 09:19:49

It's old English that is still around, not just from America. I think particularly yorkshire but might be wrong on that.

ZZZenAgain Sun 14-Aug-11 09:28:58

I think it is Irish usage too

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 14-Aug-11 09:59:15

It's not standard Irish usage.

I've only ever come across it in America.

Funk Wed 17-Aug-11 04:44:17

Fellatio - I'm with you: it's horrid. Wasn't aware it was an old English word though! Still horrid.

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 04:48:47

FN - you know I love you but I have to disagree. Much though I don't like it myself and wouldn't use it, this has been done lots of times on here (sorry!) and it's in common usage in the Black Country and the Midlands and probably other areas of the UK as well. Regional use of language can sound very wrong to other regions but it isn't necessarily and the regions involved get, rightfully IMO, a bit ticked off at being told how wrong they are when they aren't really.

<<polishes half-moon pince-nez and decidedly rams them back on nose>>

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 04:52:40

However, if you really want to get cross about something, I'll lend you this one:
the creeping prevalence of American medical spellings, e.g. estrogen instead of oestrogen (making finding it in US medical text books a pain in the bum), fetus instead of foetus, fecal instead of faecal, heme instead of haem and the latest and bloody annoying it is too - sulfur instead of sulphur.

I used to work in blood labs. We used to get foetal cord samples for blood testing sometimes. Once we got a poo sample instead because the doc who had written the form out had written fetal but the t looked too much like a c (fecal) so we got poo instead. Not good.

FellatioNelson Wed 17-Aug-11 07:31:52

Arf. That's horrible!

Red2011 Wed 24-Aug-11 18:45:22

It's annoying, but not as annoying as people saying "should of" instead of "should have". Grrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now