Talk

Advanced search

Multiple exclamation marks - why is it wrong? !!!!!

(18 Posts)
Doodlez Thu 16-Jun-11 20:10:15

I know it's wrong. I just don't know why (officially). It makes me think a young teenage girl must have written the piece when I see it but like I say, dunno why it's incorrect or frowned upon?

Any ideas?

Example:- See you soon!!!!!

MirandaGoshawk Thu 16-Jun-11 20:15:08

I know what you mean. Over-use of them totally winds me up. Even one, in the wrong place, is just wrong.

Our local parish mag, the vicar will write something about e.g lots of rain recently but hope for better weather, and sprinkle explamation marks all over it. It makes me angry IIRC they are called "dogs' bollocks" in the publishing trade, due to how they look and the esteem in which they are held.

musicmaiden Thu 30-Jun-11 23:29:16

Also AKA Screamers

Have their uses for a joke (usually reported speech) or a genuine exclamation, but little else. Why not multiples? Well, the only purpose of punctuation is to help a reader understand a piece of text. What would be the actual point of more than one - you wouldn't use more than one full stop, colon, etc

BitOfFun Thu 30-Jun-11 23:30:53

It just seems to lend an air of hysteria, doesn't it?

Clary Thu 30-Jun-11 23:31:07

miranda dog's dicks not dogs' bollocks grin

You just don't need lots do you? In fact after more than 20 years writing newspaper headlines (where they rarely add any exclamation at all) I am averse to using them at all tbh.

Clary Thu 30-Jun-11 23:32:36

Aaaagh I think I mean dog's dick as in "put a dog's dick at the end, eh?" and dog's not dogs' bollocks (as in "it's the dog's bollocks; just one dog in other words).

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 23:33:38

here i am

you can kick me

i do it all the time. i can't help it. and ellipses. and non-sentences without capitalisation wink

AND I say lol.... a lot!!!

really, kick me now. I try and stop myself from time to time but I just can't! if something is extra, extra exciting I feel the urge to add more exclamation marks

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 23:34:24

can't be dog's dicks

that would mean the dog had multiple dicks confused

CointreauVersial Thu 30-Jun-11 23:35:12

It's just a bit....over-excited and teenaged. Like.....wow!!!!

It's as if the writer thinks they are the funniest person ever!!!!!

piprabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 23:36:01

I don't mind a few scattered now and then.

But it does look like a teeny tiny bunny has hopped all over your post.

!!
!!
!!
!!

Clary Thu 30-Jun-11 23:37:13

No, quite, thisisyesterday, not dog's dicks, I did correct myself to dog's dick!

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 23:38:05

oh yeh, for some reason i thought that was someone else saying that confused

my brain is clearly addled from too many !!!!! and ....

chateauferret Sat 02-Jul-11 17:14:29

Multiple exclamation marks are wrong because they attempt to convey meaning of some sort instead of doing what puctuation marks should be doing, i.e. defining the syntactical structure of sentences. Several exclamation marks indicate that the writer had a thought that prompted their use but couldn't be bothered to think of the words to express them.

MardyBra Wed 06-Jul-11 19:11:54

I always think multiple exclamation marks is the punctuation equivalent of someone who says "I'm mad, me!" Or has a jolly little "You don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps" sign.

MardyBra Wed 06-Jul-11 19:12:39

<kicks thisisyesterday>

<but forgives her for use of ellipses...>

MardyBra Wed 06-Jul-11 23:35:05

"multiple exclamation marks ARE"

Fucking pendants corner for fucks sake (sic).

clairefromsteps Thu 21-Jul-11 20:57:41

Exactly what MardyBra said. I think it was Terry Pratchett who said that the use of multiple exclamation marks is a sign of mental illness.

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 21-Jul-11 21:01:21

yy, I infer that the writer likes wearing Disney clothing and laughs a LOT at their own, lame jokes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now