Talk

Advanced search

Off of

(10 Posts)
TiredMule Fri 27-May-11 14:04:45

Please please tell me that it isn't correct to say 'Please get off of the sofa', surely it should be 'Please get off the sofa'. It is something that DH and I cannot agree about and it really winds me up!

I'm quite scared asking here blush

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 27-May-11 14:10:40

I don't know I came in cause I thought you were taking about radio one, it is really starting to annoy me when they speak about someone who is know for a certain programme etc. ( ps it scares me in here too)

MollysChamber Fri 27-May-11 14:13:53

I thought it was the Radio One thing to.

As in "Mike off of London". It amuses me.

OP - I agree with you.

TiredMule Fri 27-May-11 14:27:31

Love-I'm glad it's not just me! I think I should look here more often-I might learn!

I'm not too bothered by how it is used on Radio One (although can annoy me), it's the day to day use-listen and you'll hear loads of people doing it.

Thanks Molly-i'm sure i'm right-it just doen't make sense!

redroof Fri 27-May-11 23:01:48

Well, in terms of state and substance it's correct. "of the sofa"
"of the park" It's a matter of physical location... Stig "of the dump" The English language is a tiresome topic!

usualsuspect Fri 27-May-11 23:03:24

I'm terrible at of and off blush

monkeymushroom Sat 28-May-11 16:06:30

"Off of" is wrong, it should be just "off".
oxforddictionaries.com/definition/off (scroll to the bottom)

nickelbabe Tue 31-May-11 16:24:37

or encourage the use of "down from"
grin

Goldberry Tue 31-May-11 16:26:44

OP - 'off of' is completely and utterly wrong. Dh and all his family say it, and it drives me nuts!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 31-May-11 17:14:03

Agree, it's just 'off'. HATE its usage on Radio One, but that's possibly because the worst offender is Scott Mills, who I loathe anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: