Talk

Advanced search

FFS people it's could HAVE not could OF!!!

(15 Posts)
MadreInglese Tue 04-Jan-11 13:54:51

thankyou!
biscuit

mamsnet Tue 04-Jan-11 13:59:13

Can I join your campaign?

We could start a roadshow, visiting schools and offices.. We could set up stands at railway stations and supermarkets.

I refuse to accept that I have to spend the rest of my life looking at this. sad

And MN is one of the places where people don't actually write that badly..

MadreInglese Tue 04-Jan-11 14:01:59

oooh yes, we could make big placards grin

QueenofDreams Tue 04-Jan-11 14:03:46

Hear, hear! (NOT here, here as I have seen a lot on MN)

throckenholt Tue 04-Jan-11 14:04:42

me too - it drives me nuts and my kids do it all the time - I think it is pretty much part of the Norfolk dialect.

I think maybe lots of people don't even realise they are saying would've - a contraction of would have.

throckenholt Tue 04-Jan-11 14:05:24

oops - could've/could of - but would've/would of is just as bad

nameymacnamechanger Tue 04-Jan-11 14:05:53

This bugs me too.

For the record though I would never correct someone's grammar or spelling on MN as I think it is rather rude. Not saying you do OP, just commenting on my own thoughts as I have seen a lot of 'correcting' going on recently, even more so than usual.

MadreInglese Tue 04-Jan-11 14:10:50

no I wouldn't correct someone's post

just glad we have pedants' corner for the odd little rant now and again

UnquietDad Tue 04-Jan-11 14:15:19

You do have to wonder how many times people have to be told. This particular mistake is particularly annoying because it's so illogical.

Look at this appalling Nivea poster from a couple of years ago.

mamsnet Tue 04-Jan-11 16:29:31

OMG! I really can't believe that nobody spotted that before it went to print! shock

For the record, I'm not sure I agree with NOT correcting people's grammar, actually. There are ways and means about it. If I thought a friend of mine was allowing me to say something hideously wrong I'd be upset.

And (when it's not going through one of it's bitchy phases) I like to think of MNers as my "friends".

nameymacnamechanger Tue 04-Jan-11 16:58:20

I find the AIBU titles most annoying. The amount of them that make no grammatical sense drives me nuts.

I just couldn't imagine correcting a friend in RL - I would maybe correct my sister - she would then tell me to ** off. grin Anyway, I'm digressing from the OP. blush

I like the pedant's corner as a way to let off steam too!

CountBapula Tue 04-Jan-11 17:28:56

mamsnet - "one of it's bitchy phases"?

<ducks>

mamsnet Tue 04-Jan-11 20:34:23

OMG

I wrote that!!!!

OMG!!

I am SO sorry!!! I think I'm going to cry.. I can never come back here again. I NEVER make that mistake! NEVER! I must have had another conversation going on at the same time.

sadblushsadblushsadblushsadblush[s ad]blush

<sobs>

CountBapula Tue 04-Jan-11 21:19:59

grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 04-Jan-11 21:22:52

heh heh heh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now