Talk

Advanced search

Does no-one proof read?

(6 Posts)
RockinSockBunnies Mon 15-Nov-10 11:46:54

I'm still shuddering from my morning commute, reading Metro, on the tube. Opened the paper to the third page, to see the title, 'How to milk a song for all it's worth'. Aagghh. Have a look here

What is the world coming to? How could no-one have spotted the error. What's worse, did people not even realise that it was an error confused.

nickelpombear Mon 15-Nov-10 11:48:52

I thought it was it's worth.

i thought to milk something for all it is worth.

is that not right?

is it milk it for all the worth of it?

confused

interested to see what the consensus is.

wordgirl Mon 15-Nov-10 11:53:12

I agree with nickelpombear - it's as in it is.

RockinSockBunnies Mon 15-Nov-10 12:05:16

Oh dear blush. I though it was supposed to be possessive - as in all his/her worth.

<Slinks away, hanging head in shame>

hugglymugly Mon 15-Nov-10 12:34:02

Initially, I was sure it was "it's", then thought it could also be "its", so I googled and found this: grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/milk-if-for-all-its- worth.aspx

There are some interesting comments there and, from a quick read-through, it seems the consensus is that it's "it's" but that either version is acceptable.

My local shopping centre has two posters up right next to each other, in the same design, typeface, etc. so presumably part of the same marketing promotion, one explaining some event that takes place "on Thursday's" and one explaining another that takes place "on Sundays". "Thursday's" is bad enough by itself, FFS, but how could someone commission both posters, check the proofs, receive them and hang them up without once thinking "hang on a minute, there's a slight inconsistency here..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now