Talk

Advanced search

hung or hanged

(17 Posts)
shinyshoes Thu 04-Nov-10 01:59:59

An animal is hanged and a human is hung right??

but meat is hung??

I dont get it

UpSinceCrapOClock Thu 04-Nov-10 02:03:39

I always thought that if it was dead originally then it is 'hung'.

If it goes from being alive to being dead, then it is 'hanged'.

winnybella Thu 04-Nov-10 02:08:20

human is hanged, everything else is hung

ninedragons Thu 04-Nov-10 03:50:32

Hanged = act of execution

ScatterChasse Fri 05-Nov-10 00:29:06

So you could be hanged then hung!

suzikettles Fri 05-Nov-10 00:43:38

Yes, I think a traitor could be hanged until dead and then hung from the city walls as a warning to others [macabre]

fortyplus Fri 05-Nov-10 00:45:31

Execution = hanged
meat = hung
but for some reason it's 'hung drawn and quartered' as in particularly nasty way to be bumped off.

ScatterChasse Fri 05-Nov-10 00:55:46

Well, 'hanged drawn and quartered' doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it? It's the double d I think.

Marlinspike Fri 05-Nov-10 00:58:12

Yes, humans are hanged - apart from when they are hung like a donkey!grin

VictorianIce Sat 06-Nov-10 14:12:24

When people were hung, drawn and quartered, is that because they were still alive when they were taken down from the noose?

This a grim topic, isn't it?

campion Fri 12-Nov-10 17:33:04

It is ( was, I hope) 'Hanged, drawn and quartered' for the reasons stated ie the victim was alive when it began.

Many people do say 'hung' even when it should have been 'hanged' presumably because it sounds more likely.

midnightexpress Fri 12-Nov-10 17:35:07

And of course one hopes one's husband is well hung as opposed to well hanged.

NotAnotherBrick Fri 12-Nov-10 17:40:38

I think when they were hung drawn and quartered, they weren't hanged, because the fall is meant to break their neck when their hanged, but when they're 'hung' they don't have such a big fall as they dont' want them to die....<stabs in the dark>

campion Mon 15-Nov-10 11:28:13

err... nope. Definitely 'hanged' though colloquially 'hung'.

Still, it was only done to men. Women got burned at the stake hmm

nickelpombear Mon 15-Nov-10 11:54:47

hanged to go from alive to dead, as consensus (ooh, I've used that twice today!)

hung if its state of living hasn't changed. (pictures, like a donkey, meat etc)

hung, drawn and quatered is techincally incorrect, as the hanging part killed them, then their corspes were drawn on and chopped into 4 (down and then across). the hung part came because of ease of saying it, but offically, the judge would have said Hanged, drawn and quartered.

so, if you killed the animal by hanging, then it was hanged, and if you put it on a hook after it was already dead, then it was hung.

hugglymugly Mon 15-Nov-10 12:48:28

From the depths of my memory:

"Hanged" is for when a human is executed by use of a noose; "hung" is for everything else (meat, pictures, etc.)

"Hung, drawn and quartered" - I've always understood this to be the use of a noose to strangle but not kill, then the person is "drawn", i.e. his abdomen is cut upon and his entrails are removed while he is still alive, then his body is "quartered" by chopping it up for display in different parts of the city.

nickelpombear Mon 15-Nov-10 15:33:17

i couldn't remember whether they were still alive when they were drawn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: