Talk

Advanced search

80's rock star fancy dress...

(11 Posts)
DSM Mon 26-Oct-09 13:52:04

I am going to a fancy dress party, it is 80's rock star themed.

I am not going to know a lot of people at the party, so I don't want to go for anything that would make me look stupid like I would if it were all my friends, sadly I care too much what these people think!

Basically I am looking for something sexy and cool, that I will feel comfortable in. Must involve skirt, not trousers (hate trousers). I am 28 and a size 12, so something young but nothing skin tight!

I am really struggling and getting so stressed as it is on Friday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

herjazz Mon 26-Oct-09 13:56:24

not very inspiring but an 80s madonna would be v easy to do - skirt, leggings, some vest top with bra showing, lots of crucifixes, necklaces, backcombed hair with some coloured net tied into a headband

they'll be loads of madonnas - I bet you

Er - you could go a bit rockier / sluttier and be wendy james instead?

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Mon 26-Oct-09 14:03:44

Robert Palmer backing singer
Early Madonna
One from Bananarama
Kate Bush

DSM Mon 26-Oct-09 14:12:57

I bet there'll be lots of Madonnas as well. and I have dark hair.. so the blondes will inevitably look better!

Might have to do it though.. worried I would look more 'generic 80's' than actual Madonna due to the hair colour.

Robert Palmer girl/bananarama/bush - not sure they are really obvious enough? I don't want to keep having to say who I am all night!

I am really, really nervous about this evening anyway, and the thought of being uncomfortable in odd clothes fills me with dread. I have low self confidence anyway and am going out with a large group of very attractive people, all younger than me. I really want to look as best I can sad

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Mon 26-Oct-09 14:20:10

See, I am older than you and I think they would all be VERY obvious! But I see that you will be with younger people.

herjazz Mon 26-Oct-09 14:21:21

I think the robert palmer girl is quite an iconic obvious look - and quite easy to do - slicked back hair, eyeliner and red lippy and a tight black dress. Quite flattering really - you can wear whatever lbd you feel comfortable in and feel a foxy vamp rather than a birrova dick!

Hope it goes well. If I felt this nervous about doing something tho I'd prob just make me excuses and give the do a miss

herjazz Mon 26-Oct-09 14:24:06

annie lennox would be a good one as well. Tho has the potential to end up more russ abbott's scottish character...

lucykate Mon 26-Oct-09 14:25:03

have a look in amongst the halloween stuff, costumes for adults (matalan have some very cheap) for a coloured wig, and you could go as toyah.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 14:27:32

be chrissie hynde instead - skinnies, boots, blazer type jacket, guitar... much cooler grin trouble is you'd really need a long heavy fringe - is that a goer?

lucykate Mon 26-Oct-09 14:28:52

or as you have dark hair, what about siouxsie sioux?

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 14:30:18

ah sorry, just saw you said no trousers...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now