Talk

Advanced search

Pirate costume

(7 Posts)
blondiep14 Wed 21-Oct-09 18:37:02

Ds (20 months) has been invited to a pirate party and needs to dress up!
I have searched ebay and other kids websites for costumes but he seems too small for toddler ones and too big for baby ones - any ideas??

BPiggy Wed 21-Oct-09 18:49:30

My two year old just went to a party as a pirate and I couldn't find an outfit either. I just got a pair of his old jeans and an old stripy long sleeved jumper and cut the trousers and sleeves in a jagged fashion. It was very effective. You could black one of his eyes as a patch (with black make up of course) punching him may be frowned upon! See if you can find a fluffy parrot or bird to pop on his shoulder.

Have fun!

Wattinger Wed 21-Oct-09 18:50:17

Have you tried the argos website? They have a great pirate costume, not sure about sizing though?

blondiep14 Wed 21-Oct-09 19:00:46

Oooh, thanks ladies. Will investigate & report back.

deliberate Wed 21-Oct-09 19:04:14

Pirate is so easy (and fun, how fancy dress should/used to be grin ) to make.

-Old trousers cut around bottom to make ragged
-either striped T-shirt or white baggy shirt.
-waistcoat made from an old t-shirt cut up the front and with the sleeves cut off
-I made a treasure purse from one of the sleeves, not accept that may be a bit OTT
-Leather belt worn across the body, over one shoulder - can attach treasure purse and/or cardboard/plastic sword
-Hat from black card with skull and crossbones printed off Internet
-Black fabric & elastic for eye patch
-and a fab finishing touch, hook from a wooden coat hanger pushed through a paper cup, with a cork on the inside to cover the sharp bit and stop it coming out.

Took less time than going shopping

blondiep14 Wed 21-Oct-09 19:20:58

Theanks deliberate - ace ideas - shall be stealing them!!

lucysmum Wed 21-Oct-09 19:29:30

I drew a skull and cross bones on a t shirt for my kids - looked great. You can use the stuff you use for curtain tie bags for a rope effect belt. Treasure belt with a few choc coins in goes down well. Eye patch can be face paint - easier to keep on than a real patch, Could have a suitable coloured bandana if easier than a hat. Neck cloth from a piece of spotty fabric/handkerchief also looks good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now