Talk

Advanced search

4yo girl's birthday - I know people hate getting piles of pink plastic, but what shall I get her?

(22 Posts)
crokky Fri 09-Oct-09 18:52:35

I want to give this 4yo something that she will like. I know her mum hates pink plastic tat, but aside from it being pink and plastic, what else makes a birthday present unwanted?

Do 4yos really like to receive books? (I can remember thinking they were a boring present when I was a child blush).

Any ideas that are different from pink plastic stuff greatly appreciated!

£5-£10 budget.

crokky Fri 09-Oct-09 18:53:27

oh and also, where do you shop for stuff like this - all my local toy shops have been victims of the recession...

northender Fri 09-Oct-09 18:55:14

A non pink plastic tat present may not get the warmest welcome at the time but will be played with and enjoyed for longer. I go for jigsaws, easily within the budget.

northender Fri 09-Oct-09 18:56:33

I'm sure toys r us do jigsaws.

crokky Fri 09-Oct-09 18:58:24

good idea, I hadn't thought of them. My 3yo is a boy and he wants cars, trains etc...girls a bit of a mystery to me!

ramonaquimby Fri 09-Oct-09 18:58:29

books, puzles, games, cards, dvds - lots of ideas.

Trebuchet Fri 09-Oct-09 18:59:36

Perhaps a craft pack? Pompoms and nice fiddly things to glue and cut. Hobby craft and the works do those sort of things. ELC does one for £8

squeaver Fri 09-Oct-09 18:59:36

Those craft kits you get in ELC are good.

these ones

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Fri 09-Oct-09 19:01:04

books or a go go hamster - they are fab grin - my fail safe is always pj's.

itchyandscratchy Fri 09-Oct-09 19:04:05

I know a lot of people have a complete aversion to all things Disney, but we just got some fab playsets for dd2's 4th birthday tomorrow from the Disey Store. They did a Toy Story case of figures for £10 which has all the characters in. Not pink either! They also do Peter Pan and all the usual Princessy suspects

IdrisTheDragon Fri 09-Oct-09 19:04:43

Having a recently 4 year old DD I would say please don't get wooden spoon fairies - they do look quite sweet but are a pain to make with your 4 year old, as you have to do most of it while she gets a little impatient smile

Mine does like books - one of her favourite presents was a box set of little books about princesses. Anything on a cat theme was also liked here but think this may be particular to DD smile.

Various princess items have also gone down well smile

itchyandscratchy Fri 09-Oct-09 19:07:23

tbh I <<shudder>> when either dd gets craft stuff for bday now. I know it sounds appallingly ungrateful but after 8 years of it I can only cope with craft things that are chosen under my strict juristiction. Presents other people have bought can be awfully.... random

sorry

<ducks>

itchyandscratchy Fri 09-Oct-09 19:08:06

books are always a winner though

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Fri 09-Oct-09 19:09:14

oh im with you on the craft thing - ungratefully our craft sets tend to get ermmm recycled as we get loads as i suspect others do the same blush

BonjourIvresse Fri 09-Oct-09 19:29:48

I think books are always a winner, and easy to regift if she already has it

ramonaquimby Fri 09-Oct-09 19:56:05

also hate craft sets
craft supplies all welcome but sets - never get made

Thinkstoomuch Fri 09-Oct-09 19:59:22

ELC's dressing up sets are about £10. Pirate, doctor, police officer, etc. My 4 year old plays with dress up all the time.

bloomingnora Fri 09-Oct-09 20:09:40

Barefoot books publish beautiful collections of stories with a CD of them being read included. Look on amazon, there are loads of different ones.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 09-Oct-09 20:10:49

hama beads?

lucysmum Fri 09-Oct-09 20:12:24

art and craft stuff/books/dressing up stuff/audio books

claraquack Fri 09-Oct-09 20:16:19

Dressing up a good idea, my dd1 (just turned 4) is currently dressed as a policeman, her younger sister was a fairy and is now playing with the nurses set.

Other things my dd got for her fourth birthday a couple of weeks ago: a dressing gown; books (The Stick Man has gone down well; also one about a Street through the ages); sticker books; Buckaroo and Pop up Pirates; a skipping rope; a giant Peppa Pig Snakes and Ladders game.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas. A beading set we got for her third birthday is popular at the moment but I agree with the other comments about crafty activities....

gybegirl Fri 09-Oct-09 20:35:11

I just gave a 4 yo girl a set of glitter glue pens, some foam stickers and some washable markers. Seemed to go down well with the mum and girl. Or maybe some stickers and a book token so she can go and pick her own book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now