Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else having a Halloween Party. Can we exchange ideas/tips/recipes here?

(14 Posts)
MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 14:01:57

We are planning our annual Halloween Party, the first here in our new home.

We will be inviting about 20 adults (I think) and 10 DC (but the DC will be off trick or treating for some of the evening)

Anyone else?

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 17:00:40

spooooooooooooooky bump

Rhian82 Thu 08-Oct-09 17:03:31

Oooooh, we had one a couple of years ago (last year had a two-week-old DS).

Pumpkin-carving is always fun - adults or supervised older children. Sainsbury's do little kits I think, with a scoop thing to get the insides out, and a knife for fiddly carving.

And we made mulled wine, and served it in jugs and carafes, so it looked like blood!

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 17:06:07

Mulled wine is definitely good. Will have a look to see where I can get some <looks out of the window at the vineyards>

Pumpkins also good, we could do a competition. I think I saw the carving sets last year.

SmallScrewCap Thu 08-Oct-09 17:10:55

I love Halloween parties for adults and littlies together!

2 biggest successes have had very simple menus, things that can be kept warm & don't need to be served all at once to allow for people coming & going for trick-or-treating...

1) Hot dogs - quality of sausage and bread to suit you! Veggie sausages for those that want. A bit of salad, wedges & fried onions.

2) Jacket spuds. I made a 3 toppings: chilli, chicken curry, and baked beans (woo hoo).

Both had pumpkin pie & toffee apples for pudding.

Fireworks to finish off

SmallSCREAMCap Thu 08-Oct-09 20:54:06

I know what killed this, it was the idea of serving party guests baked beans, wasn't it?

I put Worcestershire sauce in, you know - optional sprinkle of cheese, too...

Yorky Thu 08-Oct-09 21:21:49

We're doing baby food jars with glass painting pens and gummy shapes instead of carving - much easier, and even I can't eat that much pumpkin pie!

Fruit salad with lychee eyeballs in anyone?

I'm looking for somewhere to get loads of plastic spiders from so I can do an Easter egg hunt type activity, any suggestions?

pointyhat Thu 08-Oct-09 21:25:41

yes, we are arranging one, but just for the kids. I don't have parties of adults at my house.

We have decorations organised and a choice of hallowe'en films organised. We have costumes half-planned. We have to look through hallowe'en food together.

MmeGoblindt Fri 09-Oct-09 08:13:57

They do sound like delicious baked beans, SSC, kind of PimpMyBeans thing you have going on there with the W-sauce and the cheese.

I like the idea of the glass jar painting and keeping it fairly simple.

I normally make a huge bowl of chilli, a bowl of pumpkin soup and a cheese/ham/salami platter. I have not done Halloween style scary food but I think I might attempt something this year.

Thanks for all the ideas.

artichokes Fri 09-Oct-09 08:58:16

Our kids are small so to keep them amuse I am going to bake gingerbread witches and ghosts andvget them to decorate them at the party. We are also doing hunt the monster's eggs and scarey pass the parcel. I am baking fairy cakes iced to look like pumpkins. V excited.

artichokes Fri 09-Oct-09 08:58:16

Our kids are small so to keep them amuse I am going to bake gingerbread witches and ghosts andvget them to decorate them at the party. We are also doing hunt the monster's eggs and scarey pass the parcel. I am baking fairy cakes iced to look like pumpkins. V excited.

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Fri 09-Oct-09 14:13:36

This site is good for themed food.

charis Fri 09-Oct-09 14:19:18

we like apple bobbing, eat the doughnut off the string with no hands and no licking the lips, flour cake, murder in the dark, and spooky stories.

I make a killer punch and the children make their own cocktails with fruit juice and grenadine (blood) and haribo scaries in the bottom of the glass.

Keep a mop handy.

MmeGoblindt Mon 12-Oct-09 12:54:41

Mop is a good idea. If the weather is ok then I will do the games outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now