Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got any ideas for a Halloween birthday cake?

(10 Posts)
MinkyBorage Mon 05-Oct-09 21:18:21

DDs 4th birthday on Halloween, and I think I actually need to make a cake she will like the look of rather than doing my old favourite grown up chocolate cake again. Any ideas would be fab.
Think she would like a with cake, but she's pretty easy going so could persuade her of something different.

Doodlez Mon 05-Oct-09 21:21:13

I'd do a load of cup cakes and decorate them with pumpkin pictures, spiders, witch hats and the like.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 05-Oct-09 21:22:10

A Spooky Tower cake or is that a bit old for her?

I did one for DS's 5th and he loved it despite the fact that it was a bit wonky so looked a bit like a Spooky Leaning Tower of Pisa grin

Doodlez Mon 05-Oct-09 21:22:43

see here

TurkeyLurkey Mon 05-Oct-09 21:29:22

There is a great Ghost cake in one of my books that looks really easy.

Basically bake a cake in a pudding bowl and turn it upside down so it is a dome shape. Cover in white roll out icing to make a ghostly sheet. Use black roll out icing circles to make eyes and a scary mouth shape. Drape jelly snakes (you can get black and green jelly snakes esp for Halloween in most supermarkets) around the cake.

Looks really effective but can't find a pic online for you anywhere.

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 21:33:22

I rather like this brain cake (am thinking of making cupcake versions for Halloween). There are also loads of ideas here.

GoldenSnitch Mon 05-Oct-09 21:45:07

How about a chocolate cake, sprinkle with dyed green dessicated coconut (for grass) and add gravestone shaped biscuits... voila! A graveyard cake!

Or is that a bit scary for a 4 year old?

You could make the classic swiss roll caterpillar cake? That's sort of halloweeny yet easy.

MinkyBorage Tue 06-Oct-09 19:46:13

Wow! Some great ideas there, like the ghost cake idea, think I'll do cup cakes though, that could sort the problem.

pointyhat Tue 06-Oct-09 19:56:52

I saw this in the recent Good Food mag. I like it.

Also, do a search for hallowe'en on the Good Food home page and there are some good cookie and fairy cake ideas.

Once I just made up orange icing and decorated dd2's birthday cake to look like a big pumpkin. Very easy.

I love hallowe'en food.

dinkystinkystein Tue 06-Oct-09 20:02:54

Did a monster cake (like Charlie's from Charlie & Lola) for DS1's 3rd birthday at his request - chocolate cake with green icing on it then liquorice allsort eyes and nose and strawberry lace mouth and mini marshmallow fangs. The kids loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now