Talk

Advanced search

Cakes! Help! Need a large rectangular madeira/sponge cake un iced

(13 Posts)
thesecondcoming Wed 30-Sep-09 22:22:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumonthenet Wed 30-Sep-09 22:35:08

If you're really up a gumtree, buy a ready-made cake mix ......you know - from the chiller cabinet.

Then microwave the bugger - about 4 to five mins in a square tupperware or something, with clingfilm over it with holes punched in it.

Doesn't matter that it comes out all pale and inspid cos you're going to cover it in green gunk.

Then pass it off as your own. Tis what I do.

grin

good luck.

mumonthenet Wed 30-Sep-09 22:37:59

Now that I think about it....

Just exactly what is a dinosaur shape when it comes to cakes. I mean is it three dimensional or what?

Still, am sure your dd will love it whatever!

thesecondcoming Wed 30-Sep-09 22:43:37

Washersaurus Wed 30-Sep-09 22:44:58

She is 2 fgs. Buy a cake and stick some of these on it and she will be happy as larry I promise grin

Washersaurus Wed 30-Sep-09 22:55:39

They actually have his dinosaur in this set and next day delivery available on request apparently.

Save your time and money and go with toys on cake it really works!

Washersaurus Wed 30-Sep-09 23:17:11

Just to prove I'm not totally crazy I have added pics to my profile of the 2 cakes I made this year - Dino's for DS1 and Disney cars for DS2.

OK so the dino one looks vile but he was happy and it tasted nice wink

mumoverseas Thu 01-Oct-09 12:58:41

don't use roll out icing, bloody nightmare. Use butter icing instead. Much easier to use and far more forgiving wink
I'm just in the process in making DD (3 today)a 'princess fairy castle' cake for her party tomorrow and am hoping my butter icing will cover all the lumps and bumps grin

Good luck

mumoverseas Fri 02-Oct-09 09:54:01

in fact, ignore me, don't attempt to make the cake and buy one from M & S.
Am wishing I did that sad

Jux Fri 02-Oct-09 10:01:06

I got 4 small rectangular ones from Tesco once - it was clear they were cut from a larger rectangular one. We just pulled the lot out from the shelf and fitted them together like a jigsaw puzzle (on the floor, blocking the aisle!) until we'd got the best fit. Then I stuck them all together using jam. Then I cut out the shape I wanted, added more jam where it fell apart a bit and then iced the lot. It worked (just), but the kids didn't notice.

thesecondcoming Fri 02-Oct-09 14:01:48

Jux Fri 02-Oct-09 19:10:28

Oh dear, I'm sorrysad. I think I used some sort of very fluffy icing so the bits which weren't quite flat didn't show.

I think you should post a pic. Bet it's not as bad as you think.

thesecondcoming Fri 02-Oct-09 23:58:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now