Talk

Advanced search

Party bags - can I ditch them?

(46 Posts)
grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 18:52:57

I am increasingly getting fed up with providing 'presents' to guests at the end of my childrens' parties. Can I stop the whole party bag thing or is that really mean and horrid? I just feel I'm paying c. £10 per head for the guests at a venue, and then have to source a load of tat for a bag. I used to do nice bags (£5 type things) but can no longer afford this and I resent spending any money on a load of cr*p. Please tell me what you think - would you be annoyed if your child didn't get a party bag?

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 29-Sep-09 18:54:39

Send em home with a slice of cake

job done

pasturesnew Tue 29-Sep-09 18:54:49

No would not be annoyed

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 18:56:00

Really? I feel like I would be breaking some unwritten rule...

pointydoug Tue 29-Sep-09 18:56:48

Of course I wouldn;t be annoyed. My child would b e slightly disappointed, that's all

starwhores Tue 29-Sep-09 18:57:24

No i wouldn't be annoyed at all. I usually give a fun size bag of sweets/chocolate, a helium filled balloon (not foil £1.12) and a slice of cake.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 29-Sep-09 18:58:00

no I wouldn't be annoyed - and I have never given party bags either (do have a treasure hunt to finish with, where every child finds a small prize).

mwff Tue 29-Sep-09 18:58:49

noooooo! i did this blush figured a slice of cake and a balloon was good enough for us... blush it didn't go down well at all

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 18:59:21

OK. Bought little packs of candy sticks with superhero on as a start, but then got fed up thinking of buying themed bags, bubbles etc. Can I just eat then myself grin and let the guest go home empty handed?

Ivykaty44 Tue 29-Sep-09 18:59:37

I did - ballon and a piece of cake at the end to go home. smile

I hate them, they are full of c*ap and get stuffed under bed, so why bother hmm

mwff Tue 29-Sep-09 18:59:41

whether or not parents are annoyed, children are disappointed/confused, because it's what they've come to expect.

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:01:47

ohh. mwff - cross post. That's a bit worrying. But I do feel like the kids are coming to celebrate my childrens' birthday, not to perform an exchange of gifts. Esp as lots of the presents they get are very cheap so everyone is obv. feeling the pinch. And, no, I don't mean anything other then everyone is feeling the pinch.

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:02:43

mwff - that's what worries me. But I would like to not do them.

LynetteScavo Tue 29-Sep-09 19:03:41

i wouldn't be annoyed if my children didn't get a party bag...my children would wonder why though. I think a pice of cake, adn a helium ballon with a lolly or mini chocolate bar tied to it to weigh it downn would be sufficeint.

Or just a lucky dip of one small pressent.

I think parents around here have goine so over the top (I include my self in this) that no one is eally impressed any more with party bags.

The best bag my DS2 recieved (in his opinion)only had sweets in it.

mwff Tue 29-Sep-09 19:06:57

don't get me wrong, no-one screamed and shouted and refused to leave without one, but every single one was clearly puzzled and felt a little let down, no matter how polite they were about it and how much the parents smoothed it over. i felt rotten and like i'd let dd down for the sake of a couple of bits of plastic tat

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:24:01

But how did it all start? And why? Isn't a birthday expensive enough? Or am I just getting tight in my old age?

piscesmoon Tue 29-Sep-09 19:25:50

I would think you were very sensible and hope that others would follow. Dreadful things!

piscesmoon Tue 29-Sep-09 19:26:33

I used to put a slice of cake in them and leave it at that.

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:27:29

Thank you pisces moon. Am thinking of maybe detoxing with cake; candy sticks; bubbles. Get braver next year?

blowbroth Tue 29-Sep-09 19:27:53

We call them 'sod off bags' smile! ( and for the last few parties haven't given any)

bigchris Tue 29-Sep-09 19:29:24

what age birthday are we talking about?
I think a 4 or 5 year old would be very disappointed, a 7 or 8 year old less so

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:34:32

age 7 , jt with his db (2). Just so fed up with another £x on cr*p, y'know?

blowbroth Tue 29-Sep-09 19:43:44

Don't do it grumpypants! Be strong!

grumpypants Tue 29-Sep-09 19:45:09

maybe I could start a revolution. Or a petition...

piscesmoon Tue 29-Sep-09 19:46:04

I was too much of a coward to do away with -which is why I put just cake or,when younger, cake and something like bubbles. Some that my DCs got were way OTT-they cost more than the present mine gave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now