Talk

Advanced search

Simple party games for a 5 year old's party please!

(5 Posts)
fadingfast Tue 22-Sep-09 23:07:54

This is the first year I am taking the plunge with a proper party at home for my soon to be 5yo DS.

I am thinking a couple of games might be in order, but apart from the obligatory pass the parcel I don't really know what games are best suited to 5 year old party novices.

I just want one or two that are reasonably simple to set up and play but likely to be popular with the kids and not cause too much mess/injury/arguments. Any ideas please?

choosyfloosy Tue 22-Sep-09 23:27:58

top tip - have FAR more games ready than you think you need

kim's game (things on a tray, they look, cover and remove one, they guess, they look, cover and remove one etc)

make a tent and read a story while partner does soundeffects (good for late in the party when all scratchy)

animal cards - each child gets a card with animal drawn and written on it, and looks at it - they hold the cards facing outwards so everyone can see - start it off by making the noise on your card, then someone else's noise - they have to make their noise, then someone else's - this was v successful with a bit of prompting at ds's 4-year-old party, might be OK still for 5?

pin the tail on the donkey - you need one to put on blindfolds and one to mark the places kids have pinned

am feeling a bit of a control freak blush maybe just a few balloons...

emkana Tue 22-Sep-09 23:30:33

This is a German party game, but very very popular when I've tried it:

Child gets blindfolded. A little treat/prize is hidden under a turned up saucepan somewhere in the room. Child gets wooden spoon and bangs around trying to find saucepan. Other children help by shouting hot or cold.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 22-Sep-09 23:36:55

Don't forget musical bumps.

And play 'sleeping lions' just before teatime to quieten them down. (its what the professionals do!)

fadingfast Wed 23-Sep-09 21:04:20

Thanks. I'd forgotten musical bumps!! And pin the tail on the donkey. I like the sound of saucepan banging too. Must remember to remove all breakables from the room...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now