Talk

Advanced search

Joint birthday parties - do I need to buy 2 presents?

(12 Posts)
Marie12 Fri 18-Sep-09 16:30:28

My child has been invited to a joint birthday party of 2 children we know. However, it has been made clear that he was invited by one of the children in particular. Do I need to give a present to the other child to?

mexicantortoise Fri 18-Sep-09 21:18:33

Normally no. I would only give it to both children if my child was really close to them both or I was good friends with the mother.

ingles2 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:20:53

no, we just give to the person who invited.

kateGB Fri 18-Sep-09 21:24:58

My DD1 had a joint party with a friend last year. Both girls were at nursery together and so invited the same cicle of friends who bought them both presents. Kids we invited who didn't know the friend just brought presents for my dd and vice-versa.

If the kids had seperate parties would your child have been invited to both? If yes then pressies for both.

To be on the safe side why not get a decent pressie for the child you are closer to and a token pressie for the other ? From what I have seen the actual presents dont really matter (ie size, value etc) but getting one does.

As long as they dont open them a the party in front of each other you should be ok

FritesMenthe Fri 18-Sep-09 21:32:11

DS is having a joint party this year. Most of the guests are friends with both. We have told the guests to, if they wish, bring a single gift and the party boys will do a lucky dip to share them. After all the guests are only getting a single (albeit a very cool!) party. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

kateGB Fri 18-Sep-09 21:45:55

I took the view that whilst the guests were only getting one party (albeit a good one!) the mothers were also only having to face one party rather than 2 on consecutive weekends! Parents happy and kids happy!

kateGB Fri 18-Sep-09 21:48:26

FritesMenthe - good luck with that plan!

Marie12 Sat 19-Sep-09 11:07:00

Thanks, DS knows both children but is more friendly with one of them than the other. I don't know either of the mums that well. Was thinking about giving a token present to the other child to be polite as we see them every day!

Clary Sat 19-Sep-09 11:10:55

Yes I think token pressie for 2nd child is a good plan.

DS2 had a joint party years ago with a friend's DD and actually (they were not yet at school) they invited some very different children, so I was not at all miffed/bithered/surprised not to get a gift from the girl's pals who we didn't even know.

But if you are all at school together then I think it's a bit different.

Rindercella Sat 19-Sep-09 11:16:55

I would say no, unless you know both children.

We recently had a joint b'day party for DD and 2 other children. Only people who knew each child really well brought along a present for each.

slowreadingprogress Sat 19-Sep-09 12:14:39

I think yes, if you know both children eg they're both at your child's school or something then a pressie for both

My nephew had a joint party recently but we hadn't ever met his friend so only took a pressie for nephew. Forgot to even get a card for the other kid! oops!

Marie12 Mon 21-Sep-09 11:06:06

Thanks for all your replies - I bought 2 presents on your advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now