Talk

Advanced search

dinosaur birthday cake - help!

(8 Posts)
loobs2 Tue 15-Sep-09 11:20:46

DS wants a dinosaur-themed cake for his 6th birthday and, while I don't want to buy one (expensive and he often doesn't like shop-bought ones), I am completely unartistic and haven't a clue! I can make a perfectly acceptable round or square chocolate sponge (he insists it be chocolate0 and decorate it nicely, but that's my limit! Any tips? smile

twinklytoes Tue 15-Sep-09 14:58:47

lots of cakes there's lots of relatively easy ones here, go to the dinosaur dig cake in the critters section - it looks relatively easy and will meet the requirements!

bargainhuntingbetty Tue 15-Sep-09 15:01:32

M&S do some really good ones.

flaime Tue 15-Sep-09 20:23:00

I cheat big time when I make mine and find a simple colour in picture of what i want, print off a copy and cut it up so I have a jigsaw / stencil of the picture.

I ice the cake with the base colour, then roll out the colour for the dinosaur and cut round the paper pattern I made.

It's really easy to do and looks great. I did a patsy (from harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs) and the bucket for my DS's 4th birthday and he loved it.

simple ones often work better than the more complex pictures.

Have fun!

FritesMenthe Sat 19-Sep-09 12:27:35

A volcano shaped cake (baked in a basin) with little plastic dinosaurs
or some dino candles

loobs2 Wed 23-Sep-09 11:27:46

Thanks so much for your help everyone - am going to give it a go!! grin

JackiePaper Wed 23-Sep-09 18:37:38

have you seen this cake pan, the results look fab and fairly easy to do

MrsBadger Wed 23-Sep-09 19:03:41

this one is my staple recommendation - tis the lumpiness + demerara 'sand' that is key. Use plastic dinosaurs on top

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now