Talk

Advanced search

red food colouring makes pink icing - how to make red???

(13 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 21:41:51

made these dinky little cakes for dd's afternoon tea party this afternoon - ladybirds, or meant to be.

Bought red food colouring for the purpose but it only turned it pink - how do you make red icing?????

GwarchodwrPlant Mon 17-Aug-09 21:42:56

Add more food colouring. it will turn red eventually.

Aitchiswaitingforalegalopinion Mon 17-Aug-09 21:43:02

pastes, i think. so nigella says. no idea where you get them, soz.

rasputin Mon 17-Aug-09 21:44:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cheesesarnie Mon 17-Aug-09 21:45:33

crush more beetles?umm add more colouring.

cookielove Mon 17-Aug-09 21:56:33

how about don't add water just add the food colouring

LetThemEatCake Mon 17-Aug-09 21:58:56

I used the whole bottle!! Just went a deeper shade of pink.
No water, just butter milk and icing sugar.

Will try paste next time. And beetles wink

Made ds a Lego birthday cake last month, one of the 'bricks' were red, I just used normal food colouring and then added more icing sugar if the icing got sloppy.

I did end up using so much I was quite worried that all the kids would go hyper when they ate itgrin.

DMonabonfireinadeepdarkwood Mon 17-Aug-09 22:06:51

Food colouring pastes are marvellous - sooo much better than shitty bottle stuff. You only need a little bit & get really true colours.

I get mine here

mrsgboring Mon 17-Aug-09 22:10:58

Supercook brand red is better than the other generally available supermarket colourings.

flyingma Wed 28-Oct-09 17:04:35

If you were using liquid colouring, just keep going! LOL.

Google a local cake deco or sugarcraft shop to find paste colouring. There are ones up and down the country - they will sell the paste or else eBay or else a mail order place like Almond Art or the one previously suggestion.

Sugarflair is the brand I prefer but Squires is the big brand in the sugarcraft world.

frightstick Wed 28-Oct-09 20:12:06

I ended up using a whole tub of paste once and just kept getting more lurid pink! Someone suggested adding a bit of black next time but I haven't tried it so don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong!

flyingma Wed 28-Oct-09 22:45:39

OMG How much icing are you trying to colour and feed your kids?! LOL...

I've had the same tub of ruby for a few Christmases now... admittedly I only normally colour ponsiettas, holly berries, santa clauses, choir boys and various other Christmas creatures but I've done a few fire engine and kids cakes but have still only got through about a third of the tub.

If you do get the paste stuff, the pink won't ever go red... the deepest colour it will go is the shade it is sold as. I hope that makes sense...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: