Talk

Advanced search

Shared Birthday party - Girl and Boy. Good idea or will it end in tears?

(8 Posts)
SwissCheese Mon 20-Jul-09 20:44:10

I've been asked if I would be up for a shared party for under 5yrs. I think it could be a good idea as both children go to the same school. However, is it likely to end in disputes especially if girl v boy themes (if it goes that way) really aren't liked?!

I was going to do a pirate theme but I've been warned off by another friend who has made it clear that they already have ALL the stuff for the birthday theme and want me to change (although I mentioned it first - hey ho)

Politics of birthdays wink

If my house wasn't being revamped I'd stick to a simple family get together!

Ideas anyone?!

plusonemore Mon 20-Jul-09 21:03:49

we're hoping to have a shared party next yr for my ds and freinds dd, 4th birthday. We are planning village hall with something hired- maybe puppet show. So there wont really be a theme. I think I am aware that i am more likely to be the 'pushy' type mum and as such am going to make myself be really good and say 'oh lovely' and 'yes great' alot instead of 'here, i've already organised EVERYTHING' grin

fingers crossed...

Madsometimes Wed 22-Jul-09 12:34:36

You could mix the themes. Peter Pan mixes pirates and fairies very nicely, so surely this should please everyone.

Alternatively, an animal theme could be considered.

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 12:36:01

yes mix it
or just get coloured plates and have done.
DO invite one half of the guests each thought to sotp the present issue

SwissCheese Wed 22-Jul-09 19:18:04

Set Square - thanks for the pointer re presents. Hadn't thought of that.

Madsometimes - Peter Pan is a fab idea.

Good O - now all I've got to sort out is making a cake grin not my strong point blush

plusonemore Wed 22-Jul-09 20:15:03

i have this cake book which is full of great cakes but best of all, the most amazing all in one mix which has never failed and people cant believe it is all in one. Simple idea if doing peter pan- cake, cover green/ blue icing, buy peter pan toys (loads going cheap on ebay) and place with traesure (sweets) all over. OR make the whole cake look like treasure chest (black icing, yellow hinges) and the top with choc coins and sweets!

plusonemore Wed 22-Jul-09 20:15:33

i have this cake book which is full of great cakes but best of all, the most amazing all in one mix which has never failed and people cant believe it is all in one. Simple idea if doing peter pan- cake, cover green/ blue icing, buy peter pan toys (loads going cheap on ebay) and place with traesure (sweets) all over. OR make the whole cake look like treasure chest (black icing, yellow hinges) and the top with choc coins and sweets!

Surfermum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:19:58

I did a shared party for dd's 5th, although it was with another girl, and invited the whole class. We themed it pirates and princesses.

Peter Pan is a great idea as there can be Tinkerbelles, pirates, Wendys.

I don't bother going the whole hog with the theming thing. I use plain tableclothes and coloured plates etc. We theme the games and the adult helpers always dress up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now