Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How would you feel if you had an invite to a party in your street/road, like the old un days?

(21 Posts)
mummyplonk Mon 13-Jul-09 19:55:53

DH and I were talking about the Silver Jubillee/Charles & Diana parties etc we used to have in the street when we lived in London, you hardly ever see them anymore, maybe lack of events to celebrate or everyone is too insular (sp?) now-a-days. We now live in a lovely little cul-de-sac, mainly families, all v friendly to say hello to and we wondered about approaching some of them for a little party in the street where the kids can play, maybe get some tables and bbq out the front, average ages are 30-50's, what would you think if someone approached you about this? When would be the best day Sat/Sun and would it weird to do it without an occasion (if you can think of any good one's in the summer hols please advise). Am hmm as dont want to seem like a weirdo but all of the neighbours seem so nice would be good to get to know them better.

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 19:59:29

i would love it!

Doodle2u Mon 13-Jul-09 20:00:32

Do it! Invite everyone though!

funnypeculiar Mon 13-Jul-09 20:02:22

LOL, I organised a picnic for our street this weekend!
I suspect lots a few people think we're nutters (I did it jointly with a friend across the road to spread the wierdness smile BUT I met 9 new households on my street (as well as 7 I knew already!) We all sat and drank pimms in the rain in our local park whilst the kids ran around (was very British). And lots of people who couldn't come or thought a picnic in the rain was bonkers have said they'd love to come if we do it again.

We went for a picnic rather than a BBQ as less to organise - easier to just tell people to bring their own food rather than trying to sort joint catering, but depends on your locality I suspect.

We didn't have an excuse (although The Big Lunch - Tim SMit is all about doing this, but that's officially this weekend smile)

funnypeculiar Mon 13-Jul-09 20:03:49

www.thebiglunch.com/

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 20:08:20

assuming you don't live in a cul-de-sac like the op, is it easy to have a street party?
or would you just have a street party in a nearby park?
if you wanted to literally do it on the street how would you arrange that?

funnypeculiar Mon 13-Jul-09 20:10:41

You have to apply to the council to close the road. I assume that's the case even for cul de sacs (unless a private road)

I THINK there can be a charge for this (to cover signage etc) and presumably it's at council's discretion

LoveMyGirls Mon 13-Jul-09 20:11:15

We used to have these sometimes when we lived at my mums, infact I was at one the day I went into labour with dd1 almost 10 years ago. They were fab. We had a bouncy castle on mums lawn, everyone had bbq's on the lawns and loud music smile awwwwwwwwww the good old days.........

Twims Mon 13-Jul-09 20:12:42

Our street us doing the big lunch this sunday with a bouncy castle, bbq's kids activities and live music - looking forward to it.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 13-Jul-09 20:16:31

We're having a Big Lunch party where I live. About 5 of us have got together to organise it.

We put invitations through doors and tried to talk to as many people as possible.

Most people that we've spoken to have said what a good idea it is and a few have said "ooh its like it was back in <insert year here>" and have told us about parties they held for the children or for various reasons.

We've only had a couple of miserable old sods less sociable people who have said "whats the point" and have no intention of coming.

mummyplonk Mon 13-Jul-09 20:18:06

Thanks everyone, havnt got a clue how to suggest food/drink? If all in agreement will contact Council (thanks funnypeculiar), aah Twims we have got a Bouncy Castle that would be good too.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 13-Jul-09 20:20:46

I would love it and I would get involved in helping to organise it too if I was needed/wanted grin Its a great way to get to know neighbours and create a great street spirit.

Twims Mon 13-Jul-09 21:24:46

We put a letter through saying who would be interested in doing it on a certain date, then we've had regular meetings - planning etc.

mummyplonk Mon 13-Jul-09 21:31:56

funnypeculiar - that sounds fantastic, sounds like you are pleased you did it, am so pleased people are receptive to this, my Parents/Grandparents used to know everyone in their road, I can remember as a kid being sent to weed an old mans garden a few doors away, (for a chocolate buscuit) as my Nan knew he had Arthritis. I guess if one person says "no" we wont be able to close off the road so fingers crossed.

preggersplayspop Mon 13-Jul-09 21:39:51

We had one where I live recently - apparently they happen every few years. There was someone in the road who organised it and they asked each household for a small donation to cover the cost of shutting the road and public liability insurance (I think), plus entertainment etc. Bunting was put up (just like the old days) and people dragged barbeques, tables and chairs out. There was a band and children's entertainment and everyone had a great time. I can't wait for the next one! Brilliant for community spirit.

Jux Mon 13-Jul-09 21:46:29

I'd be delighted; I'd make a batch of biscuits. DD would be very happy too. DH would be a bit hmm but as long as he found someone to talk guitars/music with and there was enough beer he'd be happy.

MaureenMLove Mon 13-Jul-09 21:58:35

I wanna do one now!! We actually socialize with about 7 or 8 couples & their families in our road and know at least another 4 or 5 well enough.

Oooh, I'm all fired up for a summer party now! Thanks! grin

mummyplonk Wed 15-Jul-09 20:59:03

Yey, have done general concessous ( awf sp?) with friends and all have agreed we dont know our neighbours enough, and would feel safer, happier living in a road where you knew everyone's first names at least, when people take the time to smile and say "hello" to you every day it is getting to the point where I feel embarrassed not knowing them, we have sectioned about 15 houses at the end of the cul-de-sac (hope the others dont get offended but dont want to turn it into Notting Hill Carnival), DH thinks it is a great idea as he only works & see's the Boys b4 bedtime. I think I will let the enthusiasm by the other folk dictate how far we go.

branflake81 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:50:56

I would love it if this happened on our street.

Sadly there are no other families, it's all single people or couples so it never would.

serinBrightside Thu 16-Jul-09 20:15:21

I would be thrilled, but like branflake we are the only family with kids here.

My sisters street has parties for everything, St. George's day, St. Patrick's day, Halloween, local hospice fundraisers.

morningpaper Thu 16-Jul-09 20:23:37

We are having a Big Lunch street party too. Have got some roads closed and all sorts of things organised. I was a bit hmm at first but I have met some lovely people organising it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now