Talk

Advanced search

Birthday party etiquette?

(6 Posts)
orangekitkat Wed 01-Jul-09 20:25:21

DS at nursery now. Beginning to receive invites to birthday parties. I only know the names and faces of these children and not even sure I could match the child to the parents I occasionally see on pick up/drop off.
My question is... do I take a gift? What do I take? How much should I spend? Should I ask the parent? One is a joint invite for child and her younger brother, do I take a gift for both?!
I've only done birthday parties at home for family so have no idea what to expect!

bigchris Wed 01-Jul-09 20:26:48

no more than a fiver
only a present for the child your dc is at nursery with
it is the beginning of hell grin

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 20:30:57

Make sure you RSVP.

Take a gift. Something between £5 & £10 (or something that looks like it costs between £5 and £10, even if you picked it up form Pound Land.

You might want to ask the parent what the child is into if you RSVP by phone, but I've found this to be an expensive option - if the parent requests something pricey, you will then feel obliged to buy it.

It'sup to you if you take a present for the sibling. Personally I wouldn't but a samll book might be nice if you really wanted to, although if it's a large warehouse soft play party they will be inundated with prewssents, so won't notice an extra one, especially if you've never met the brother.

LynetteScavo Wed 01-Jul-09 20:32:20

YOu might want to build up a collection of inexpensive gifts/ wrapping paper/ cards so you don't have to shop every time your DD recieves an invitation.

orangekitkat Wed 01-Jul-09 20:39:46

Thanks for advice. Should I really stock up? is it going to get that frequent?! Was assuming DH was going to come with me but I'm wondering if we should take it turns now!

CMOTdibbler Wed 01-Jul-09 20:43:16

DS is at day nursery, and I ask the nursery nurses what they child in question likes. That works very well.

If the party is at a house, then only one of you, but if at soft play etc, you might both want to go in case you don't get talked to. Or alternatively one of you runs round, and the other gets to talk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now