Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake for an expert maker, made my rank amateur! Any ideas for idiot proof cake?

(6 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Tue 09-Jun-09 13:17:47

My friend makes lovely cakes for everyone else, so I thought I might have a go at making one for her!

I can bake a sponge, can make butter icing and have used fondant icing. Any suggestions or pics to copy?

Many thanks

AitchTwoOh Tue 09-Jun-09 13:21:03

i think all those fondant covered cakes look totally unappetisin, i must say... i know people put so much work into them but they must taste like shit.

sooooo. i'd do nigella's shredded coconut one, from dom goddess i think. or just a lovely jam and cream sponge with fresh fruit on. very summery.

etchasketch Tue 09-Jun-09 13:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 09-Jun-09 18:56:54

Must admit my friends fondant covered cakes tastes fab!

Mine are OK too <<sniff>> will deffo have a go with petals - sounds super and a cheat - my favourite!

MadameCastafiore Tue 09-Jun-09 19:00:27

I made DH the Nigella Traditional Chocolate Cake for his b'day at the weekend and everyone said it was the best chocolate cake they have ever tasted!

I have to admit it was pretty yummy and foolproof really.

here

For corn syrup you use golden syrup and if you don't have any sour cream you can always sour normal cream with lemon juice or use creme fraiche.

AitchTwoOh Tue 09-Jun-09 22:33:07

they DON'T. why would anyone want to eat something that has had someone's fingers all over it like that? gross, imo. a light hand with the baking, i think.
rose petals do sound fab, i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now