Talk

Advanced search

Anyone seen an Underground Ernie cake in the shops or a non-Thomas realistic train cake?

(10 Posts)
pigswithfludontfly Sun 07-Jun-09 21:16:40

Any pointers would be welcome!

Furball Mon 08-Jun-09 07:21:26

I think waitrose and asda do a service where they can put a picture of you choice on the cake, so if you can't find one you could always do that.

Tommy Mon 08-Jun-09 08:19:11

my local cake shop has a train tin you can hire - usually about £2 for a day or something. Do you have a good cake shop near to you? Most of them hire out tins

Tommy Mon 08-Jun-09 08:23:01

or this one from Lakeland

pigswithfludontfly Mon 08-Jun-09 10:14:44

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit rubbish at cake making so suspect the Waitrose pic idea is the best so far.
Any other ideas welcome!

Tommy Mon 08-Jun-09 12:13:25

how about constructing a train out of swiss rolls? There must be a website somewhere that would have it! I have the idea in a couple of books - no baking required - just cutting and pasting using chocolate butter icing (which you buy in a tub form a supermarket!)

Tommy Mon 08-Jun-09 12:17:36

like this?

pigswithfludontfly Mon 08-Jun-09 14:13:47

That would require far more skill than I have even if the swiss rolls were pre-made - I need something really easy or off the shelf! Looks cool though and I wish I could do that!!

pigswithfludontfly Mon 08-Jun-09 14:14:33

Actually maybe you're right - taking a closer look - it's just a case of sticking together bits really isn't it?!

Tommy Mon 08-Jun-09 22:08:02

absolutely! the trick with children's birthday cakes is to give the impression that you are terribly clever and imaginative while actually just sticking bits of shop bought cake together with buttercream grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now