Talk

Advanced search

How do I go about filling my house with flowers for a party?

(8 Posts)
franch Sun 07-Jun-09 20:41:47

Has anyone approached a florist about this? I have in mind smallish informal containers of flowers all over the place (maybe those little metal bucket things) but have no idea if this will cost a fortune and if florists do this kind of thing?

MrsMerryHenry Sun 07-Jun-09 20:44:27

Why not discuss all the options with a florist? Or give them a budget and let them work around it.

Make sure you specify which flowers you don't want, e.g. chrysanths and carnations (except, perhaps, the really sculptural crysanths) as these are cheap fillers, so if your budget is tight they may overload the arrangements with these flowers.

franch Sun 07-Jun-09 20:51:14

Thanks MrsMH - just thought I'd gather info here first before making a fool of myself! Wouldn't know what sort of budget to suggest - will they laugh at me if I say £100 for example? Do florists hire out containers for arrangements like this?

smurfgirl Sun 07-Jun-09 20:57:41

Yes florists will do that. You may find it cheaper to provide your own pots. Cheaper flowers are the way to go so ask for advice on seasonal etc.

Carnations can look fab and are cheaper.
www.hostessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/uploaded_images/carnation_centerpieces_2.jpg

MrsMerryHenry Sun 07-Jun-09 20:57:52

Perhaps you should decide how many individual arrangements you need, and whether you want them big or small.

If you want the flowers to look impressive I'd say go for fewer arrangements but make them really special - big, colourful flowers such as peonies or even rhododendrons look amazing in tall vases.

Good luck!

smurfgirl Sun 07-Jun-09 20:58:35

Please excuse my excessive use of the word cheaper!! You can use articial flowers swirled in fishbowls and they look v.realistic and are cheap (that word again).

mollyroger Sun 07-Jun-09 20:59:45

If you want really cheap, go on freecycle and ask for fresh flowers from people's gardens

franch Sun 07-Jun-09 21:10:37

Great advice thanks everyone. Wow hadn't thought of that molly. Will give it all some thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now