Talk

Advanced search

Fancy Dress party - will other mothers hate me?

(7 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Fri 05-Jun-09 18:15:01

DS1 will be 4 in July. He is desperate for a Wolverine party but having explained it's not a very inclusive (or practical!) theme we talked about a super heros party and I'm now trying to steer him towards general fancy dress.

Should I in fact just try & ditch the theming anyway & just have an ordinary party? Will the other mums be annoyed at having to organise costumes?

lljkk Fri 05-Jun-09 22:36:01

Fancy Dress parties pretty standard at 4yo, I think you'll find. Should be no problem for most parents.
My only problem is that when DC1 was 4yo and I was asked to put him in fancy dress... I didn't know what it meant! And no, DS didn't have anything suitable to wear, either, because the preceeding 18 months we'd had quite restricted income.

I'm a foreigner, though. Now if they had said "costume party" I would have had a clue .

isittooearlyforgin Fri 05-Jun-09 22:38:50

fancy dress is nice! most little girls can just come in aposh frock and be excited to be a princess and lots of boys have fancy dress of choice that is hard to prise off them. go for it! happy birthday for your ds!

cat64 Fri 05-Jun-09 22:45:21

Message withdrawn

thehouseofmirth Sat 06-Jun-09 09:07:47

Thanks! I think fancy dress is nice too. I'm sending the invitations out 3 weeks in advance so it's not like when I get a letter home from nursery on Tuesday instructing me to make a camel outfit for Thursday...

Blackduck Sat 06-Jun-09 09:34:28

say its fancy dress 'if you like' I say this because my ds isn't a keen dresserupper and I don't want to force him Last pirates, princesses and mermaids party the dressing up bit was optional (this time he actually did go as a pirate, thou' initially he wanted to go as a mermaid grin )

FimbleHobbs Mon 08-Jun-09 14:30:35

For DS's 4th birthday party he kept changing his mind on current favourite theme, so we had a 'heroes' theme (invitation had pics of Batman, Pirates of the caribbean, the girl from Lazy Town, Dr Who, Bob the builder, you name it)

On the invitation we said 'feel free to come dressed as your favourite hero' - I think all the mums were fine with it, we had about 50% in costumes. Girls were mainly in princess dresses, I think people just wore what they already had so it wasn't a lot of effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now