that " book in a party bag " idea some CLOT had once

(232 Posts)
Frivol Tue 12-May-09 19:02:57

well it goes down very badly here.
My kids like books.

they like parties

they like party bags

they dont like them mixing.

a party bag BEST case scenario is sweets, with a football keyring( who has keys aged 6?!) if you haev to.

GrapefruitMoon Tue 12-May-09 19:05:29

Don't forget the fact that most books won't fit in party bags so you have to wrap them separately!

I am overjoyed that dd (Yr 7) says that a slice of cake is all she gets at parties now...

Doodle2U Tue 12-May-09 19:08:40

I wondered that about the keyring - my children love keyrings. We have boxes of the wretched things. We have great strands of them attached to book-bags. We have them dangling off wardrobe knobs, coat hooks and one on the cat flap. Alas, no keys.

And plastic whistles that don't work - equally loved and treasured.

yappybluedog Tue 12-May-09 19:08:58

party bags are FUN, especially if filled with plastic tat

pointydog Tue 12-May-09 19:09:28

I think we can safely say it goes down badly in 80% of the country

MintyyAeroEgg Tue 12-May-09 19:11:14

Water pistol. Or hair slides. A few celebrations. A piece of cake. Its not difficult.

squeaver Tue 12-May-09 20:56:54

Agree - never have I seen my dd so disappointed as when she opened the party bag to find a Dr Seuss book.

"there's not even any bubbles" she wailed.

janeite Tue 12-May-09 21:02:10

Bubbles are good.

Books are good for parents and for ease of purchase but not fully appreciated by barbarian children who want sugar-loading.

We tended to go for the notebook and pen route; or bracelet and hairclips; never did master the art of party bags for boys though.

IlanaK Tue 12-May-09 21:20:47

I will confess to the book in a party bag idea being always in the back of my mind. However, I have yet to succumb!

I am currently planning a joint party for my ds1 and 2 who will be 5 and 8. It is an "explorer" party in the park. I am using black organza pull tie bags and will be putting in a notebook and pencil, a length of rope, a homemade cloth map and a toy swiss army knife (brought over from the US as they are not available over here). Thoughts?

Frivol Tue 12-May-09 21:26:59

no way
just bung in a bag of skittles

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 09:32:40

Don't forget the cyanide pills Ilana

islandofsodor Wed 13-May-09 09:46:11

We love books in party bags and I hgave often provided one. I get them for 80p from a party bag company. There is a range of titles from fairy tales to traditional children's stories, town and country mouse was the last one. Or Mr Men/Thomas type book people books. For older ones the paperback sets fit nicely in.

For ds's party bag this year there was for boys a book, parachute man, fortune teller fish thing, grabber gun and a piece of cake. The girls had the book, fish, bracelet and hair bobble. They cost about £2.20.

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 09:48:20

Its wanky. And smugness.

sweets, a yoyo and an unblown up balloon (wtf is the balloon all about? You have to have one tho)

Oddly, I've never had a party bag yet wiht a book in and my oldest is 9! Obv I move in chav circles. Am yet to get a gold earring, a baseball cap and a staffy in a party bag, so I'm not quite there

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 09:49:13

and can we not use the word CLOT in thread titles? It makes me think of bleeding after childbirth

<punch> to OP for that.

islandofsodor Wed 13-May-09 09:49:35

I blow the ballons up and put them on a stick first. They bash each other with them at the end of the party. I forgot they all had a ballon and a sticker too.

JRocks Wed 13-May-09 09:50:35

DS had a toothbrush in a party bag for two years running from the same family. It's great thinking, but he wasn't impressed grin

Greensneeze Wed 13-May-09 09:51:24

what the hell is a grabber gun?

seeker Wed 13-May-09 09:56:50

The most popular thing I ever put in a party bag, bizarrely was little jars of jam (the sort you get in cafes) I saw them on a market stall and chucked them in as an afterthought (on top of the bubbles, sweets and plastic tat) It was 3 years ago and ds's friends still occasionally mention it with a nostalgic smile.

Lancelottie Wed 13-May-09 10:17:36

Boys' bags:
Mini torch (50p or so)
Inflatable saxophone/tyrannosaurus/aeroplane
Chocolate

jeee Wed 13-May-09 10:33:48

Best idea I saw on MN was whoopee cushions - wonderfully vulgar

Lancelottie Wed 13-May-09 10:43:30

WE NOW HAVE ENOUGH WHOOPEE CUSHIONS FOR A LIFETIME THANK YOU!
[Anyone want one?]
[blrrrrrt]

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 10:55:42

""there's not even any bubbles" she wailed. "

that is tragic! and it IS wanky
adn superior

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 11:47:06

I actually LOVE party bags
I think the worst thing is to go to a party and be handed a balloon on the way out WITHOUT a party bag

I get as excited as teh DC about rootling through them when we get home blush

notwavingjustironing Wed 13-May-09 11:50:26

My DS1 (4) sorts through DS2's (2) party bags, telling him that things are "too old" for him or "will make him poorly", thus stashing them away for himself.

I have had to put a stop to it.

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 12:30:45

yes the brothers shout " anything good in that party bag"
"no just a Book "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now