Bouncy Castles, insurance, apparently 8 5 year olds on a bouncy castle are 'uninsurable';

(11 Posts)
moodlumthehoodlum Mon 23-Mar-09 12:32:59

I can't believe I'm even exploring the possibility of insuring dd's fifth birthday party but..

I wanted to borrow a big bouncy castle off a friend (who has no insurance for it) but I literally can't get insurance for it. So, if someone has a terrible accident on it (which I could understand if there were going to be 25 of them, but lets face it there are eight 5 yr old girls fgs) I would be completely liable for it.

So has anyone any experience of this (I do understand why they have done this in the light of last year's news on it but all the same)?

Now all my plans for not having to amuse them have been ruined.. waaaaa

OP’s posts: |
nappyzonecannotcycleuphill Mon 23-Mar-09 12:35:58

to insure for one day would be costly - your best bet would be to hire from a bouncy castle company who have adequate insurance cover - that said you have to sign a disclaimer most times anywya to say your responsible or soemthing along those lines. My dh has a b castle business....

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 23-Mar-09 12:39:11

That is the most obvious solution isn't it?! I'd completely overlooked that!

Is your DH's business anywhere near me in warwickshire?

OP’s posts: |
tiggerlovestobounce Mon 23-Mar-09 12:39:56

Or if you get each parent to agree to suprvise thir own child then you should be OK. I think the news story last year was because the court had initially decided that the parents had been negligent in their supervision, but this was reversed on appeal.

nappyzonecannotcycleuphill Mon 23-Mar-09 12:41:57

no soory were in stockton on tees - we charge about £65 to hire out a big adult sized one so your looking around thats costage. Or yes if parents are staying to like tigger says...

stealthsquiggle Mon 23-Mar-09 12:45:56

I think you will find (no offence intended to Mr Nappyzone - insurance companies' doing, not hire companies) that the insurance that comes with hired bouncy castles is so caveated as to be entirely useless. I know the father of one of DS's friends was told when theirs was delivered that no more than 10 children could be on it at the same time otherwise they were uninsured - his solution was to inform all parents of this whilst handing them glasses of wine as they arrived and we adopted the usual loose 'collective supervision' model - and only one child's tooth got broken hmm.

nappyzonecannotcycleuphill Mon 23-Mar-09 12:50:16

yes stealth i agree there are lots of clauses i understand hence they have their own legally drawn up disclaimer too - they have to have insurance anyway to cover for when they knock someoens wall over by accident (yes it did happen!!)


moodlumthehoodlum Mon 23-Mar-09 12:52:39

It does seem that although there is public liability insurance, which kicks in if the equipment is faulty, the responsibility is ours alone if someone falls and hurts themselves on the castle.

It seems overkill to do a form for parents to sign, but maybe that's the way I have to go.. Aside from my two, there are only 6 little girls, so its hardly going to be anarchy.

Nothing is straightforward.

OP’s posts: |
Mumsie1234 Fri 29-Jun-12 09:46:50

Well I just bought some short period insurance for bouncy castles to cover my one day for only £41.80 I thought this was reasonable as I had 20 kids and two castles for the day. Thankfully nobody got hurt, and the weather was great.

Apparently no bouncy castle hirers insurance covers for negligence by parents if they are supervising, and why should it?

FML Insurance Have an easy website so definitely get the cover if you hire a bouncy castle or you could get hit for a much bigger bill if not.

Stanby Thu 30-Mar-17 09:24:47

As an employee of FML Insurance, I would like to add we do not arrange short term cover for bouncy castles.

I would also like to add that public liability insurance only covers the operator when they are present and responsible for the castle at say an event.

When it comes to hiring out to the public whereby YOU are responsible for the inflatable as it is on your property, then you will need to purchase your own insurance cover as the business owner's public liability will not cover you.

Some insurers do offer short term policies and they are certainly worth looking at if you intend to hire an inflatable this summer.

Stanby Tue 17-Apr-18 11:59:29

Thought you may like an update to my previous post as from May 2018 we will be making available a new online quote facility which in time will facilitate short-term liability cover for a range of leisure equipment aimed solely for those who are hiring equipment for an event such as a party.

Should you require any advice you may speak to one of our leisure advisers on 01702 225 440 or alternatively pop onto our website at I'm not sure if links are allowed so if it is removed please use Google to search "bouncy castle insurance" and you should find us in the search results.

I hope this helps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in