Talk

Advanced search

party food. On plates or in boxes?

(15 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 16-Feb-09 21:56:30

DD is having about 15 friends to her party at home. I will be doing the usual sandwiches, vegetable sticks etc party food. Do you think it's better to let the children help themselves from a buffet and use a plate or for me to put a selection of food in a party box for each child (like the ones on PartyPieces.co.uk) and offer more or other food for those who don't seem to be eating much from their box?

TIA.

ps. for anyone who has seen that his is my third message tonight on this theme... yes, this is the first party that I have ever done at home grin

AmIOdetteOrOdile Mon 16-Feb-09 21:57:47

How old are they?

mckenzie Mon 16-Feb-09 22:00:27

Birthday girl will be 4 so guests will be mainly 3 and 4.

LynetteScavo Mon 16-Feb-09 22:01:11

If they will be sitting on the floor, then boxes - and don't offer more food to those not eating from the box or there will be mayhem with everyone wondrering if there is something better.

AmIOdetteOrOdile Mon 16-Feb-09 22:02:26

Definitely party boxes then. You can have them all prepared beforehand (mess limitation), there'll be no fighting at the buffet table (mess limitation) and children love party boxes.

Oovavu Mon 16-Feb-09 22:02:42

I did boxes once - looked nice but was a waste of time and money.

the dcs don't give a monkeys about the food really. they'll eat a handful of stuff then get up and start playing again.

AmIOdetteOrOdile Mon 16-Feb-09 22:03:05

Agree with Lynette - at parties you either eat what you are given or eat nothing. No special treatment except for allergies.

LynetteScavo Mon 16-Feb-09 22:03:21

No one expects thier child to come home from a party having actually eaten a proper meal.

Well, I don't - I suspect 100 people will come along and disagree now.

Wheelybug Mon 16-Feb-09 22:04:26

Oh this is only the second one I've seen - will hunt out the 3rd !

Boxes definitely - much less waste. Last year, dd's 3rd, I did plates and made loads of extra to be on the safe side. This year I did boxes and there was so much less waste.

I did:

Sandwiches (a choice of ham, marmite or jam) - didn't put these in the boxes but took them round after htey had the boxes and had 2 sandwiches wrapped in cling film
packet of hula hoops
3 mini sausages (in a snack bag)
raisins
cupcake
bottle of juicy water

mckenzie Mon 16-Feb-09 22:05:05

okay, thank you. boxes it is then. Basic sandwich fillings, few bits and pieces and then cakes hand delivered afterwards i assume otherwise they'll just eat the cake and leave the sandwich yes?

Wheelybug Mon 16-Feb-09 22:05:13

oh and the fact it was all done beforehand was fantastic.

Also, for those who don't eat much, they can always take it with them when they go.

Wheelybug Mon 16-Feb-09 22:05:49

just stick the cake in the box - as others have said, no one really expects the children to eat a decent meal at a party.

mckenzie Mon 16-Feb-09 22:06:59

thanks wheelybug. Feeling a bit better about my decision (or rather DD's decision) to have it at home already. You do know though that I will be seeking you out for all manner of advice now though?

Wheelybug Mon 16-Feb-09 22:08:26

I think I may have exhausted my repertoire already wink grin.

Hope it all goes well !

littlebellsmum Sat 28-Feb-09 23:26:30

Not boxes - my dc;s are veggie , no one ever asks and when they get boxes they are full of meat ( sausages, ham sandwiches etc). I also see the same with the non veggie kids who just don't like half of what is in the boxes and it gets wasted!
Probably just a personal view based on two recent parties!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now