Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake ideas.......

(13 Posts)
npg1 Mon 27-Oct-08 20:22:50

I need some help please! Planning DD 6th birthday party for saturday. Attempted to make a choc sponge last night and was going to ice it white and do pink polka dots but it didnt rise very well and doesnt seem big enough. We have 24 kids coming.

So, do i make another cake and stick to my origial plan?

Try and get one made at a bakers for saturday (not much time left)?

Buy one from tesco or similar which I dont really want to do. But need a big one!

Anyone had one from morrisons? Do you have to order them?

Please help, getting abit paniky now!

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 20:26:13

cook the same again, and do four layers, very tall cake? Or ice the one you have as you wanted to, and then do matching fairy cakes to put round the edge, iced the same.
DONT PANIC!! Loads of time left!

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 20:30:35

Theres lots of ladies on here that make good cakes! Im in bedford, i bet theres someone near you!

npg1 Mon 27-Oct-08 20:34:36

Thanks, but with the fairy cakes how do i decide who to give a slice of cake to or a piece of cake! lol!

MingMingtheWonderPet Mon 27-Oct-08 20:40:56

geraldine - i love your Bob the Builder cake on your profile, 'tis fab

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 20:47:13

Thank you Mingming grin
npg1, just put plenty of sparkle and pink balls on them all, they will all look lovely, give the slices to the hungriest kids! Whatever you do, dont ask them to choose (carnage) grin

cheerycherry Mon 27-Oct-08 20:47:35

Have recently seen a huge pile of pink iced buns tiered a bit like a wedding cake, each one different and prettified...looked v impressive but simple to do. Could make sure there is at least one each for the party goers?
Or just double your cake mixture and take your time !

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 20:51:11

Ice the original cake, to display, bake a standby for cutting up behind the scenes so you have enough to feed everyone!

npg1 Mon 27-Oct-08 22:50:53

pink iced buns sound good. How would you tier them up?

I plan to do fairy cakes with dolly mixturs on for after the tea so want to do something different for the cake.

cheerycherry Tue 28-Oct-08 11:15:08

Think the buns were on a fancy tiered cake stand but perhaps u could design your own with different sized plates/even doilies!! (do they still make doilies?! and have i spelt it right?)

SlasherGoober Tue 28-Oct-08 11:17:40

It was MaureenMLove's profile where you saw them. Search her.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 28-Oct-08 15:09:41

my sister made teirs once using plates and lego pillars!

stayinbed Tue 28-Oct-08 15:22:21

waitrose has lovely cakes you'd never know were bought....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now