Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So what do you do at a 2 year old's birthday party, then?

(7 Posts)
mangolassi Thu 16-Oct-08 10:16:02

Dd is 2 next week, we're having a very low-key piss up for -adults-- celebration on Saturday. People here don't do kids parties at all, so there's no pressure, but I thought it might be nice to do something a bit more English (it'll please my mother to hear about it, at least).

But what? She'll be there, and probably 4 or 5 cousins around the same age. They're too young for games, aren't they? I thought about goodie bags to take away but apart from that I have no idea.

Obviously needs minimal planning too, as it's the day after tomorrow hmm

mangolassi Thu 16-Oct-08 10:26:21

shameless bump

ja9 Thu 16-Oct-08 10:30:47

at nieces 2nd birthday party the little ones played with sparkly play dough and decorated paper tiaras. i think they iced biscuits too - that is always a hit. maybe pass the parcel or hokey cokey / head, shoulders knees and toes...

make sure you have kids music - elc do great cds. nice nibbles and toys out. easy!

witchandchips Thu 16-Oct-08 10:41:01

I've been to three types of childrens (2/3/4) birthday parties

a) type 1; hall is hired for 2 hours with bouncey castle. In order to fit in bouncey castle, musical statues, pass parcel + tea whole thing is planned like a military operation. At end there is a sit down tea where (i kid you not) parents stand behind their dcs like posh nannies did in the olden days. Much futile urging to eat some sandwiches before the jelly and crisps. Children leave rather wound up

b) type 2: some basic set up but at a home so you get the added stress of making sure that no one makes too much mess

c) type 3: host has room for adults + clears out a safe place with toys for children. Sandwiches/booze etc laid out in the kitchen. No organised games but adults (at various stages of drunkeness) take turns to make sure children are having fun. Cake with candles in brought out at some point

GO FOR TYPE C PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

mangolassi Thu 16-Oct-08 10:44:28

pmsl! Not really a type a person in any sense of the word (phrase?)

Dottoressa Thu 16-Oct-08 10:48:39

Or there's type 4 (our own preferred option):

Give the child a couple of presents that she'll really enjoy playing with. Have a cake with candles after lunch (with grandparents if they're not too far away). Put her down for normal nap afterwards, and enjoy a perfectly normal day without any faff that will go straight over her head at best, and make her grotty and over-tired at worst!

(Admittedly type 4 may not be suitable for Mangolassi's dilemma...!)

mangolassi Thu 16-Oct-08 11:02:55

Ok. Food, cake, toys. Alcohol (for adults, obviously). I think I can only cope with one song a limited amount of kids' music, but decorating paper hats sounds easy enough. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now