Talk

Advanced search

Need ideas for 2yo dd fancy dress outfit. Not shop bought.

(4 Posts)
MrsWalton Wed 15-Oct-08 22:12:00

I refuse to buy pre-made fancy dress outfit. Want to home make it, any simple but effective ideas.

lovecat Thu 16-Oct-08 00:48:30

I've made DD a couple of fairy/ballet-type skirts v. cheaply as follows:

Buy a length of wide ribbon and a piece of net fabric twice the length.

Fold the net in half (or use 2 contrasting colours and make 2 layers) and sew onto the middle of the ribbon, gathering it as you go.

Fold the ribbon over and stitch it down. You now have a tutu type skirt that you can embellish as you please (ribbon = waistband, you tie it in a bow around your DD's waist and no-one can see the join), I got some little rosebuds and some sequins from a craft shop and scattered them all over.

She wears it with a vest or plain t-shirt - I did get her some wings from a stall at Glasto and a wand from Claire's, though, as they would be hellish to make!

Pirate? Striped top, black waistcoat (can make quite simply, no great sewing skill required, bandana and black/red cheap trews, cut /\/\/\/\ along the bottoms? DD likes being a pirate...

I have attempted to make her a princess dress but quite frankly the ones in the shops are not bad and unless you're a whizz at sewing/have lots of money to buy fabric and trimmings, it's easier to buy them.

What's your objection to pre-made?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 16-Oct-08 00:53:49

I once made a tin of campbells soup fancy dress outfit for DD. It was marvellous.

Two hula hoops cut smaller, acres of satin and lots of sewing/screen printing.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 16-Oct-08 00:54:33

hijack! lovecatcat me re music

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: