Talk

Advanced search

Need ideas for 2yo dd fancy dress outfit. Not shop bought.

(4 Posts)
MrsWalton Wed 15-Oct-08 22:12:00

I refuse to buy pre-made fancy dress outfit. Want to home make it, any simple but effective ideas.

lovecat Thu 16-Oct-08 00:48:30

I've made DD a couple of fairy/ballet-type skirts v. cheaply as follows:

Buy a length of wide ribbon and a piece of net fabric twice the length.

Fold the net in half (or use 2 contrasting colours and make 2 layers) and sew onto the middle of the ribbon, gathering it as you go.

Fold the ribbon over and stitch it down. You now have a tutu type skirt that you can embellish as you please (ribbon = waistband, you tie it in a bow around your DD's waist and no-one can see the join), I got some little rosebuds and some sequins from a craft shop and scattered them all over.

She wears it with a vest or plain t-shirt - I did get her some wings from a stall at Glasto and a wand from Claire's, though, as they would be hellish to make!

Pirate? Striped top, black waistcoat (can make quite simply, no great sewing skill required, bandana and black/red cheap trews, cut /\/\/\/\ along the bottoms? DD likes being a pirate...

I have attempted to make her a princess dress but quite frankly the ones in the shops are not bad and unless you're a whizz at sewing/have lots of money to buy fabric and trimmings, it's easier to buy them.

What's your objection to pre-made?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 16-Oct-08 00:53:49

I once made a tin of campbells soup fancy dress outfit for DD. It was marvellous.

Two hula hoops cut smaller, acres of satin and lots of sewing/screen printing.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 16-Oct-08 00:54:33

hijack! lovecatcat me re music

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now