Talk

Advanced search

Does your DC open up their birthday presents AT their party or afterwards?

(15 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 13-Oct-08 21:33:25

Just wondering what you all do? It's just that my SIL's children always seem to focus on their party, running about, eating food, seeing the other kids etc and they put the presents to the side 'to open later' when everyone is gone. Probably so they can take a note of who things are from etc but I always thought that was a bit odd...? My DS is 1 in a few weeks time and having a fairly small party so I was just wondering what to do (having no experience of these types of parties LOL). Open immediately when given the present or put to the side to be opened when there's not as many distractions?

Jojay Mon 13-Oct-08 21:34:14

At the party, not after.

morocco Mon 13-Oct-08 21:35:44

everyone i know with kids at nursery/school brings a big bin bag to the party, the pressies get chucked in there, then opened later at home

we tried opening them at the time when ds was 4 and it was a complete nightmare. don't recommend it at all

at 1 though, you should be able to manage fine I'd have thought. first year is a celebration of you as parents for surviving the first year grin

Hulababy Mon 13-Oct-08 21:37:02

If a small party, esp for tiny children, I'd say at the party.

But if a big party with lots of guests - then afterwards.

hana Mon 13-Oct-08 21:37:35

I think its the done thing in the UK - I think it's fairly odd - but it's also the done thing to invite shedloads of kids too, so would imagine it gets pretty boring for them to watch presents being opened by the birthday girl/boy

pinkbubbleGUM Mon 13-Oct-08 21:37:51

Afterwards. The family all sit together, me with a pad and pen and then DD opens things up and I write down who has given what.
Nothing to do with "oohh she has only given so and so, more than that, so DD can then give a thank you letter, stating what she has been given, rather than a generalised letter!

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Oct-08 21:41:45

Small party at home - open them on the spot.

Full on whole class riot - open them later. Otherwise personally I would have DS in tears because other children had grabbed his new toys and would have no idea who had given him what (for Thank you letters)

ELR Thu 16-Oct-08 22:45:04

we always open them and thank people as they arrive my kids love opening them straight away

Elkat Sun 19-Oct-08 11:11:27

I've never seen children open presents at the party... its always done afterwards, at home!

snickersnack Sun 19-Oct-08 11:16:23

Always later now. Much less trauma that way. But for a 1 year old, probably there and then, as it's more about the giver than the givee at that point, iykwim.

MrsWeasley Sun 19-Oct-08 11:16:56

We usually do it afterwards so I can keep a track of who gave what for thank you cards! but one year party games were running ahead of schedule or mums were late picking up so DD opened the presents at the end with the guests still there and everyone really enjoyed it. The guests seemed to enjoy the personal "Thank you, its a lovely book" etc.

Mind you I did say on the quiet to DD if she already had a gift she wasnt to mention it grin

Flamesparrow Sun 19-Oct-08 11:17:06

DD has done them AT the last 2 years, but we have only had a handful of guests.

People like seeing the faces

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 19-Oct-08 11:19:42

after the party for DS1 who is 4.
DS2 opened his as people gave them to him.. this last birthday

HOWEVER I really personally prefer it afterwards.

milge Sun 19-Oct-08 11:31:10

AFterwards, because invariably, ds will be rude about one or more of the presents and I couldn't face the humiliation!

Tas1 Sun 19-Oct-08 14:56:46

After the party, that way I can make a note of who bought what ready for the thank you cards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: