Talk

Advanced search

Do you still invite your friends dc to your child's parties even if they don't see each other anymore?

(12 Posts)
Fimbo Fri 26-Sep-08 11:24:54

I am in a quandry.

I have 3 friends, 2 of whom have moved to different areas of the city where I live. The children don't see each other anymore because of different timings/days with nurseries/playgroups etc and now they have all started reception. My friend who still lives in the same area as me, her child is in a different class to mine.

The other bearing is that my friends children are all girls and my ds is the only boy.

My ds doesn't want any girls at all at his party in December only boys. He doesn't really play with my friends girls when he does see them now on the odd occasion, although he was close to one of them when he was younger.

WWYD - invite them or not?

I still see my friends btw, just not with the children.

feedmenow Fri 26-Sep-08 11:36:27

I wouldn't invite them.

It's your ds's party so if he only wants boys then he only wants boys!

I don't make my children invite my friends children to their parties for a few reasons - one of which being that I would begrudge paying out for extra children to come when they weren't really "wanted" there in the 1st place!!

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 11:36:49

Message withdrawn

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 11:38:07

No, I wouldn't. I might have a separate get together perhaps.

No to mixed parties though? Why?

PrimulaVeris Fri 26-Sep-08 11:44:07

You'll have to let it drop I think and not invite.

Even if same gender, if they're at different schools and different classes and quite honestly don't 'know' each other any more, it's not going to work for your child or your friends' children. Separate getoether as TFM says.

pagwatch Fri 26-Sep-08 11:50:51

MY dd is at a differnt school now and whilst I still see some of their mums I wouldn't invite DCs that DD doesn't really play with any more. It is her party not mine.
She also has one particular friend who she does still see but I spoke to her mum and we agreed in advance that we wouldn't invite as her DD would be effectively the only child apart from DDs class.
we did a really sweet little tea for the two of them instead where they swopped presents and had cake

Fimbo Fri 26-Sep-08 12:54:01

I feel kind of guilty as they will still buy ds presents. I will a small get together at home instead.

At one of the last parties (not my ds's) one of the children sat on her mum's knee most of the time as she had forgotten who most of the other children were although she was at nursery with most of them.

Now I need to broach the subject - arrrghh these types of things always make me feeling farking bad.

pagwatch Fri 26-Sep-08 13:01:49

Fimbo
I had to have that type of converstaion but it is easier to broach if you discuss it from the childs point of view and with an alternative.
With my friend I explained when the main party was but said " I am a little concerned that your DD will be a bit isolated as , whilst she is lovely and confident etc she won't know the other children. I was wondering if we could do a seperate party tea and then we could just get the kids together informally for an hour and you and I can catch up"

Would something like that work.
Also as it was after DDs party she had some new ganes etc that they all played together

ruddynorah Fri 26-Sep-08 13:06:49

i do at the moment but dd hasn't started school yet so her friends are my friends kids really apart from a couple at nursery etc.

when she's older i'd only invite her genuine friends.

invite your friends and kids for another do.

Fimbo Fri 26-Sep-08 13:09:44

Thanks Pagwatch. I am not very good at this sort of thing and end up rambling. I am going to send an email and copy them all in on it.

I will say ds only wants boys and invite them all over perhaps on a weekend afternoon. Although Christmas hols would probably be better as we have loads on in the run up to Christmas (ds party is on the 6th and birthday 9th).

See I am rambling already blush

pagwatch Fri 26-Sep-08 13:10:33

grin
you can do it Fimbo ....

Fimbo Fri 26-Sep-08 13:11:33

<<gets assertive head on>> {grin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now