Talk

Advanced search

Bonfire party for five-year-olds - is it a really pants idea?

(9 Posts)
choosyfloosy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:15:15

Would it be daft to have an outside party for five-year-olds with a bonfire? DS's birthday is in January - feel sick at the thought of yet another inside party - I want to invite lots of people. Running around game and lighting bonfire, toasting marshmallows and a bit of a singalong? Parents to stay? If I can find somewhere that will allow me to do this, is it still an intrinsically unsafe idea??

suzywong Thu 18-Sep-08 12:16:18

yes
have a party with sparklers as the highlight.
treacle toffee and baked potatoes optional

stealthsquiggle Thu 18-Sep-08 12:19:51

maybe possibly OK with a fire pit or similar and lots of adults.

Apart from safety - what would you do if it rained?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 18-Sep-08 12:21:33

I don't think it's intrinsically unsafe, but will need a lot of effort to ensure that it is safe, if you get my drift. It could be a lovely party if the space is big enough, the children are standing far enough from the bonfire to be out of harm's way and you have plenty of other parents or friends to act as marshals. I think I'd avoid having a lot of five year olds jostling to toast marshmallows over a bonfire, though!

But where are you thinking of having it? Not at home? Do you have a willing friend with a large garden? No public park is likely to agree to this.

choosyfloosy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:27:33

aaaah [breathes invigorating air of people on Mumsnet who are prepared to commit to an opinion]

right, other plans then

liking sparklers

choosyfloosy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:33:53

i was thinking of the local scout camp site, which is lovely, but don't know what they allow yet.

Might wait a year.

stealthsquiggle Thu 18-Sep-08 12:34:22

If you come up with any ideas which avoid the hoard of screaming 5/6/7yo's rioting in village hall let me know - I have 2 DCs with winter birthdays and friend has 3 more...

PrimulaVeris Thu 18-Sep-08 12:37:11

Brilliant idea, but better for older kids (say 8 to 10) I think. Supervision nightmare for younger ones.

Also you need a fire pit and clear skies!

serin Sun 21-Sep-08 21:51:36

As a guider I have done fire with Brownies(age7-10) but not with Rainbows, its not just the fire you would have to worry about but the temperature of the marshmallows!!

My own kids have been known to tend a little fire in a roasting tin but I wouldn't trust other peoples.

What about a winter picnic at a country park? Most of them have play areas and you could get parents to bring bikes or scooters along. Some forestry commission sites have classrooms that you can hire in case the weather really is too poor to eat outside but IME the weather is never too poor for 5yr olds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now