Talk

Advanced search

Help - birthday party for dd

(10 Posts)
MrsMessy Mon 08-Sep-08 12:26:01

Hi, My dd went to nursery since a baby and I always had her b'day parties there. But this year she has started school and I think I am expected to organise a party for her. I have no idea how to go about it. Do I send the invitation cards for all the children in her schoolbag, do I invite mums to stay, what kind of games/entertainment, food for both mums and kids... Basically I need advice on anything and everything. Please help.

NK7231b339X117ab9f1ded Mon 08-Sep-08 13:03:13

Hi it really depends what type of party you had in mind. Are you going to have it at home or hire somewhere. Have you got a theme?

www.kids-party.com have lots of idea's and suppliers of all things party.

www.yourchildrenfirst.co.ukhave party kits for small parties at home.

www.bumblebags.co.uk have partybags

newpup Mon 08-Sep-08 13:04:06

Hello. A child's party can be a large affair involving the whole class or a smaller one with just a few friends.

Children tend to have large parties in their first few years at school and these scale down as they get older and their friendship circles get smaller.

First off, pick a date, usually a saturday or sunday nearest to the childs big day. It may be worth asking her teacher if another child has a birthday close to your DD's. You could have a joint pary with them or if you want your own then you can make sure that they do not happen at the same time (very awkward!) You may need to be flexible with the date depending on your venue or entertainment choice.

There are lots of options, softplay parties are popular. Also hiring a hall and a having a disco or entertainer. I would choose a venue first and make sure it is free. Church halls are usually the best bet, quite resonable to hire.

Next, decide what sort of entertainment. If you google or yell.com children's entertainers in your area, there will be loads. I always phone and enquire about cost, type of entertainment provided, numbers of children etc. Phone a few and ask around, personal recommendation is always best. People at school will have used them and will pass on telephone numbers.

When you have booked your venue and entertainer, you can concentrate on invitations and food. Most schools will let invitations go in in bookbags to be distributed by the class teacher, although some have rules about this, worth a check.

Most mums stay around at parties while children are in reception and year one. They usually, hang around on chairs at the side of the hall and chat. Some hosts provide tea or soft drinks for them but it is not usually expected.

Food for children is mostly of the sanwiches, crisps and chocolate fingers variety.

You can choose a venue, for example softplay, where all you do is turn up and they provide food etc.

Hope this helps, you may want to think about, party bags, pass the parcel, decorations for the hall and a cake.

Good Luck smile

MrsMessy Mon 08-Sep-08 22:43:05

Thanks for the ideas. I am hoping some of her friends will have a party before her birthday and I will get some ideas from there too.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 08-Sep-08 22:55:54

ds1's 4th - at home on a sunday (his birthday), 5 invitees and ds. Party games in the garden, some snacky food (it was 2.30pm-4pm), cake, shoo the kids off home. no party bag. parents didn't stay (invites said pick up and drop off times as didn't want parents bringing younger children).

ds1's 5th - at home after school on a tuesday (again his birthday), 7 invitees and ds. Party games, play in garden, meatballs and pasta to eat (party was 3.30pm - 5pm), cake, shoo kids off. no party bag. parents didn't stay.

Other 4th/5th/6th's he has been to;
- soft play (at a soft play party, 90 mins play and food), lots of these
- hire of village hall & organised games / entertainer
- olympics party on village green
- birthday tea at home (3 boys in total)

We went to a soft play one yesterday and ds1's b'day is in a couple of weeks (will be in the same vein as his 5th). We were discussing what we will do at tea-time today and he started saying something about the soft play one which made me think he wanted one (which he isn't getting). I asked which he would prefer - soft play or at home, his face lit up and he beamed "at home". Well trained that boy!

Think about what you want to do, what you can afford, what your daughter will most enjoy.

MrsMessy Tue 09-Sep-08 17:38:07

Since she just started school in August I am not sure I can select who to invite. I mean she has not formed firm friendships yet, so it might be tricky if I select some of her classmates. She is a very girly girl and would probably love a princessy party without the boys, but I don't know if it would be the right thing to do. Venue wise I can manage 7-8 at home but not 20 - which is the number in her class.

MrsMessy Tue 09-Sep-08 17:38:55

Since she just started school in August I am not sure I can select who to invite. I mean she has not formed firm friendships yet, so it might be tricky if I select some of her classmates. She is a very girly girl and would probably love a princessy party without the boys, but I don't know if it would be the right thing to do. Venue wise I can manage 7-8 at home but not 20 - which is the number in her class.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 09-Sep-08 17:52:44

I give ds a number he can invite, he choses.
If you only invite a handful then just some girls is fine, ds2 wants 2 girls this year but in the past he has only had boys.
I would make sure that it isn't all the girls in the class except 1 or 2 - in which case either invite all the girls, or leave at least 3 out.
Stpo thinking about the right thing - do what you and your dd would like.

NualafromKiddiewinks Wed 10-Sep-08 11:02:13

Organising a childs party for the first time can be very daunting but at Kiddiewinks thats what we do every day! We can do parties for either one or two hours for up to 25 children aged 2-5 years old. You just provide the venue, kids and food and let us do the rest. Parties are very interactive and full of fun, basically the kids have a great time and the adults get to relax, not the usual stress that often comes with organising a party! If you think we could help and would like to hear more, visit our web site www.kiddiewinksonline.com or give us a call,0161 432 3624 we'd love to hear from you!

newpup Wed 10-Sep-08 16:37:42

Nuala sounds like fun but are you allowed to advertise on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now