Talk

Advanced search

Help me plan dd's 6th birthday party! Is Wizard of Oz fancy dress...

(10 Posts)
CountessDracula Thu 28-Aug-08 15:38:59

and I am not having any entertainment, bouncy castle etc. About 25 - 30 kids I reckon.

It is for 2 hrs
I have the following ideas/things to do

1. Treasure Hunt

2. Decorate own crowns for party hats (i have millions of crayons/felt tips and lots of stick on jewels etc

3. Make a windmill

4. Fancy dress competition judging (in various categories depending what people come as ie best dorothy/lion etc)

5. Musical Statues to Wizard of Oz theme

6. Chasing lion's tail game (they get in a line and the first is the head and the last the tail, the head has to get the tail - sounds complicated!)

7. Witches Broom Relay Race
Before the party cover two shoeboxes or bricks with yellow paper.
Mark an "X" on the ground for the starting point and place the "yellow-bricks" a reasonable distance from the "X". Divide the children into two teams. Provide a broom and a ball for each team.
The first player from each team will use the broom to roll the ball to and around the yellow brick and then return. The next player takes a turn and so on until all players have had a turn.
(I have 3 squashy yellow bricks for this)

8. Pass the parcel (how will i remember who has had a go with 30 of them ffs???)

Is that enough do you think?

I figured if I had more time they could just have a disco.

Also any more ideas??

janeite Thu 28-Aug-08 15:43:45

Sounds great. We did this for dd2's (I think) 6th birthday. We did Pin the heart on the Tin Man (I made a lize size one; obviously had more time or more energy in those days!); Sleeping cowardly lions (after tea to calm them down!); lots more but can't them remember sorry.

cat64 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:46:35

Message withdrawn

WobblyPig Thu 28-Aug-08 15:48:41

Can I come - sounds like fun. Would make a good witch. You'll need a lie down after all that though.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Aug-08 16:00:42

What could I pin on Dorothy? I have life sized cardboard cutout!

I agree need more things
argh

oh have pinata too

mapleleaf Thu 28-Aug-08 16:35:04

lie dorothy flat and pin some ruby slippers (made with lots of red glitter) on her ??

janeite Thu 28-Aug-08 17:28:17

Just remembered - We played a game where you play music (WOZ soundtrack) and when it stops you call soemthing out and they have to act it - eg: Cowardly Lion - they all shiver and shake / Dorothy - they all say "Oh Toto I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" etc - very cheesy but they all seemed to like it!

Also - the game where you wrap them up in loo roll to make mummies always goes down well - if you bought blue loo roll you could maybe make out it was tin to make them all stiff like tin men, rather than mummies I suppose.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Aug-08 17:30:04

oh good one thanks!

Gobbledigook Thu 28-Aug-08 17:30:21

I think you've got enough there CD - I think they would be happy with half an hour to just let off steam/dance on top of all those activities.

Sounds brill though!

You're braver than me!

CountessDracula Thu 28-Aug-08 17:55:38

I am shitting myself actually
<gulp>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now