Talk

Advanced search

Is 8yrs old too young to appreciate a "birthday party" that consists of a meal with a few friends..........

(29 Posts)
FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:03:34

at somewhere like Pizza Hut or MacDonalds similar?

Once again I've got to the middle of August and realised I haven't sorted anything for DS1's birthday (16th September) - I could just do a party at home (like he had for his 5th) but I promised him months ago we'd do something different (at his request - completely unprompted).

I've rung around a few places today - the church hall is booked as are all the other "normal" places for the weekend before and after his birthday.

So - would I be considered a completely "uncool" mother if I were to do something like that????

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:07:53

oh - and I also have to consider the fact that I'll try and get something "fun" booked for DS2's birthday at the end of November and I don't want any sibling jealously "because he got a cool party and I didn't"

StinkyFart Wed 20-Aug-08 18:09:28

Nope

Sounds perfect for an older child.

We stopped full blown birthday parties at age 6, then outing/meal with a few friends subsequently.

smile

forevercleaning Wed 20-Aug-08 18:09:58

what about 4 friends to the cinema with pizza or mac after. then you dont have to go the whole hog with a party, but a meal on its own could be a bit boring so somewhere inbetween could suit everyone.

Aniyan Wed 20-Aug-08 18:11:11

How about combining it with a cinema trip if there's a suitable film out? Even if not, a meal sounds fine - my ds is 9 this year & I'm sure he'd enjoy it.

Aniyan Wed 20-Aug-08 18:11:34

x posts forevercleaning!

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:12:47

don't have a cinema in our town - and I don't drive - so a bit more complicated that. Also have to try do something that DS2 and 3 can be dragged along to (and fed sweets and fruit shoots to be kept quiet).

I know he's got 2 friends he wants to invite over to play on the PS2 (promised ages ago - and they're very keen to come) with him - and was sort of thinking that he could have a few of his friends over for a few hours of PS2 games and then take them out for a meal.

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:13:49

oh - disclaimer - I know the parents of the children that are due to come and play PS2 are happy with the idea of them spending a few hours staring at a screen wink

pagwatch Wed 20-Aug-08 18:14:14

TBH I think 8 is a bit young for just food. Cinema is a great idea. Or bowling. Or ice skating? Anything like that near you? Or wall climbing?

QuintessentialShadows Wed 20-Aug-08 18:15:20

HOw about just 5 friends to the cinema, hotdogs and popcorn and fizzy drinks included, and make it into a cinema party?

QuintessentialShadows Wed 20-Aug-08 18:15:45

sorry xposted. blush

Aniyan Wed 20-Aug-08 18:16:25

PS2 marathon followed by pizza sounds like 8-year-old-boy heaven to me! Plus, it will make them feel quite grown-up - especially if you and little dcs can sit at an adjacent table & let them have their own.

roisin Wed 20-Aug-08 18:16:46

We've mostly done meal -> cinema with our boys at this sort of age, and they love it. Just a small party of 3 or 4 guests plus us 4.

Round here I haven't heard of anyone doing 'just' a meal for a birthday. But I think what you are proposing of some time at home/PS2 games as well, sounds fab.

Personally I would schedule the meal first, then the games. Otherwise they will probably want snacks at your house, then won't have the appetite for a meal.

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:19:54

hmm - think we do have bowling (will have to check), no cinema, iceskating etc etc

TsarChasm Wed 20-Aug-08 18:20:07

No not at all. It seems to be the 'way of things' that 8ish onwards they start to want to do that sort of thing.

I've been praying for the day actually and finally at last...now dd is about to be 10.. she has decided on this type of birthday. After 9 years of full on party mayhem, what relief! winkgrin

Aniyan Wed 20-Aug-08 18:20:08

ooh yes - food first - I'm with roisin on that one - then you can miss dessert at the restaurant & give them treats at home while they play PS2.

forevercleaning Wed 20-Aug-08 18:21:49

is your nearest cinema absolutely miles away FAQ?

I see you don't drive but wondered if you could meet the children at the cinema (most have a pizza place/kentucky fry etc) near by, then ask a friend to drop you there?

That way you could do the cinema and meal but the childrens parents could bring them and pick them up from there after?

pagwatch Wed 20-Aug-08 18:23:08

bowling is quite fun....
my DS2 had that one year. He has ASD though and half way through they bought out a big bloke dressed in a dogs costume which freaked him out grin. Freaked me out too. make sure they don't do that !

Tsar
my DS had his first 'chill with his friends' party this year. He is 15 !

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:23:17

ok - thanks everyone (and glad to get approval for the PS2 Marathon - wasn't sure how that idea would go down here on MN wink)

all is not yet lost on the "special" birthday that I promised him smile

TsarChasm Wed 20-Aug-08 18:23:55

Do you have a Wii or access to one; maybe to borrow? Wii Sport is fun and you can do bowling.

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 18:24:50

forevercleaning - it's about 12 miles to our next cinema - and I'm not sure what I'd do with DS2 and 3 hmm

forevercleaning Wed 20-Aug-08 18:27:16

oh thats realy too far, what a shame. oh well.

jellybeans Wed 20-Aug-08 18:29:16

Sounds a great idea. Mine like Frankie and Bennys if there is one near you, but pizza hut is great too.

donnie Wed 20-Aug-08 18:31:36

sounds like a far better option than the church hall lark.

pointydog Wed 20-Aug-08 18:42:37

Depends on teh children. Some 8 yr olds wouldn't be too interested. Most just like any sort of party.

It would probably be cheaper and more fun to go to the cinema together. Dd2 had a few friends at the house for a party tea, then off to cinema (I had chosen sweets so they made up their own pick n mix at the house - saved a fortune), then back to the house for cake before home.

I booked a bowling party very last minute for a weekday. That's pricey though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now